cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default from the mystical to the scientific

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...evitate106.xml

I always like this sort of thing. The idea that what we think or imagine God doing, can be accomplished through scientific application.

Jesus descends from the sky, without ropes or wires. Or levitates from the ground to the heavens.

Maybe in a few decades this will not seem like fantasy or magic.

I say this not to discredit belief in God, but to take us away from the "God is magic" paradigm.

Are we not Gods, or potentially Gods?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

I always like this sort of thing. The idea that what we think or imagine God doing, can be accomplished through scientific application.

Jesus descends from the sky, without ropes or wires. Or levitates from the ground to the heavens.

I say this not to discredit belief in God, but to take us away from the "God is magic" paradigm.

I missed the part of the article that talks about God or Jesus.

This kind of populist extrapolation does a disservice to serious and sophisticated thought and discussion about science and religion. It is part of what gives religion and religious people a bad name; red meat for the likes of Richard Dawkins. William James would more than blush, probably he would puke reading this post.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I missed the part of the article that talks about God or Jesus.

This kind of populist extrapolation does a disservice to serious and sophisticated thought and discussion about science and religion. It is part of what gives religion and religious people a bad name; red meat for the likes of Richard Dawkins. William James would more than blush, probably he would puke reading this post.
I do nothing more than point out that some magical acts once thought beyond the reach of mortal man is within reach or highly plausible.

The Liahona must have appeared to be a magical talisman to Joseph Smith and early Saints.

To replicate the Liahona in 2007 is so trite as to be almost ridiculous.

By the way, SU, in case you didn't know, I don't care wtf you think.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
SeattleUte

Quote:
To replicate the Liahona in 2007 is so trite as to be almost ridiculous.
The Liahona didn't take much imagination in 1830. As the BofM says, it's essentially a compass, which were well known and in use in 1830. Maybe a compass conflated with an eight ball.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
The Liahona didn't take much imagination in 1830. As the BofM says, it's essentially a compass, which were well known and in use in 1830. Maybe a compass conflated with an eight ball.
how many compasses had a little digital text display back then?
Old 08-07-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
SeattleUte

Quote:

I decided this post is actually very clever, a humorous diamond in the rough. It's classic Waters the very smart guy yielding to a penchant to play the class chimp (see also, Waters' current avatar, masturbation threads, and his darkly comical obsession with imminent Second Coming in Missouri). What's so funny is that levitation is actually the most prosaic of Christ's miracles. To One as highly evolved as Christ, levitation would be like adding and subtracting to you and me.

Hey Waters, you be sure and post the articles when scientists figure out the physical properties of walking on water, turning water into wine, making lepers whole, raising to life dead people so far gone their corpses have started to stink, and making yourself wake up from being dead three days.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 08-07-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I decided this post is actually very clever, a humorous diamond in the rough. It's classic Waters the very smart guy yielding to a penchant to play the class chimp (see also, Waters' current avatar, masturbation threads, and his darkly comical obsession with imment Second Coming in Missouri). What's so funny is that levitation is actually the most prosaic of Christ's miracles. To One as highly evolved as Christ, levitation would be like adding and subtracting to you and me.

Hey Waters, you be sure and post the articles when scientists figure out the physical properties of walking on water, turning water into wine, making lepers whole, raising to life dead people so far gone their corpses have started to stink, and making yourself wake up from being dead three days.
cryogenics, antibiotics, transmutation.

actually I wouldn't be surprised if the levitation effect linked in that article would allow someone to be repelled by the surface of water and thereby walk on it.