cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mormon Colonists in Mexico

if someone has access to this article, can they tell me what it's about?

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=001...3E2.0.CO%3B2-K
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
if someone has access to this article, can they tell me what it's about?

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0016-7428(200107)91%3A3%3C586%3AMCOC%3E2.0.CO%3B2-K

I'd be interested in this too. My grandma was born in Colonia Juarez. I've always thought it was interesting that they were continuing to perform Church-sanctioned plural marriages in Mexico after the manifesto.

Also, I've often wondered whether I could be considered 1/4th Mexican, since my grandma grew up in Mexico and was a Mexican citizen. I don't think I qualify as an underrepresented minority, but I also know all kinds of people with last names like "Pennington" who don't seem hispanic and qualify, so why shouldn't I?
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I'd be interested in this too. My grandma was born in Colonia Juarez. I've always thought it was interesting that they were continuing to perform Church-sanctioned plural marriages in Mexico after the manifesto.

Also, I've often wondered whether I could be considered 1/4th Mexican, since my grandma grew up in Mexico and was a Mexican citizen. I don't think I qualify as an underrepresented minority, but I also know all kinds of people with last names like "Pennington" who don't seem hispanic and qualify, so why shouldn't I?

I'm in the same boat. My grandfather walked across the border after Pancho Villa burned down his house. I have a copy of his (Mexican) birth certificate in case I have to try to nail down a minority scholarship. I have no qualms about it - ethnicity is a social construct.

Here's a selection from the article that gives the gist:

Quote:
The cultural landscapes of the Mormon colonias are strikingly similar to the archetypal Mormon Landscape of rural Utah (Table I). The most important geographical differences are ethnicity, Deseret Core versus Mexican Refuge, time of settlement, continuity of occupation, far less subdivision/development in Mexico, and the surprising fact that the Chihuahua colonias are far more prosperous than their Utah counterparts. In regard to Francaviglia's landscape traits, all that is missing in the colonias are two-by-two houses and the tripod device known as the "Mormon hay derrick."
Old 08-05-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, Hispanic is not considered a race. It is an ethnicity.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote