cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2008, 03:14 AM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Just an FYI

Arizona won 31-10 AT UCLA. New Mexico (1-3) beat Arizona 36-28. Florida beat Tennesseee 30-6. UNLV is beating Iowa State 21-7.

Anyway, food for thought.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:18 AM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I already pointed this out last week.

BYU beat a lousy UCLA team. Some here thought it was too early to declare UCLA as being lousy. We are seeing yet again that they really were lousy. 2 back to back shutouts is impressive, regardless of the opponent.

The more important thing is that at this point, BYU is playing pretty much all lousy teams on its schedule (with the exception of Utah, which, frankly, has also played nothing but lousy teams...sorry, Michigan). All that really matters is that BYU keeps winning. There is nothing we can do about our conference or our schedule. Efforts to extrapolate how good we are based on our 4-0 record are fruitless.

if we are as good as we think we are, we will play in a BCS bowl...and, according to most BYU fans, we will also win it (unless we play one of maybe 5 or so teams).

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:24 AM   #3
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I already pointed this out last week.

BYU beat a lousy UCLA team. Some here thought it was too early to declare UCLA as being lousy. We are seeing yet again that they really were lousy. 2 back to back shutouts is impressive, regardless of the opponent.

The more important thing is that at this point, BYU is playing pretty much all lousy teams on its schedule (with the exception of Utah, which, frankly, has also played nothing but lousy teams...sorry, Michigan). All that really matters is that BYU keeps winning. There is nothing we can do about our conference or our schedule. Efforts to extrapolate how good we are based on our 4-0 record are fruitless.

if we are as good as we think we are, we will play in a BCS bowl...and, according to most BYU fans, we will also win it (unless we play one of maybe 5 or so teams).
BYU would manhandle USC* in a bowl game, no questions asked. USC* might win 3 out of every 10 times they played BYU this year.

*USC represents the University of South Carolina.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:26 AM   #4
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

So the 59-0 win over UCLA is no longer impressive? Should BYU have beat UCLA 85-0 to be worthy to stay on the field with New Mexico?

I can play this also. Utah beat Michigan by 2 then who lost to Notre Dame by 18 who got killed by Michigan State who lost to Cal who lost to Maryland who lost to Middle Tennessee State.....

BYU, Utah, and TCU are clearly the three best teams MWC. I'm not going to read too much in results of other games right now because it doesn't matter. They'll settle it on the field.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:29 AM   #5
TripletDaddy

I am trying to stay true to form and simply focus on our next game....which happens to be against the first place WAC team...Aggies.

That being said, I am really starting to believe in our D.

I also believe that those Cosmo videos on the jumbotron during the 3rd quarter are insufferable. Can someone explain them to me? I honestly couldn't tell what was going on.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 09-21-2008, 03:31 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
So the 59-0 win over UCLA is no longer impressive? Should BYU have beat UCLA 85-0 to be worthy to stay on the field with New Mexico?

I can play this also. Utah beat Michigan by 2 then who lost to Notre Dame by 18 who got killed by Michigan State who lost to Cal who lost to Maryland who lost to Middle Tennessee State.....

BYU, Utah, and TCU are clearly the three best teams MWC. I'm not going to read too much in results of other games right now because it doesn't matter. They'll settle it on the field.

Correct. At the end of the season, the best team in the conference will be the conference champion.

Pretty simple, really.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:31 AM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
This is 100% correct and at this point it is the only thing that matters. Conference strength, scheduling, etc.....at this point does not matter.

This is simply now a sprint to the finish line for a handful of non-BCS teams. I like BYU's chances.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:38 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
This is 100% correct and at this point it is the only thing that matters. Conference strength, scheduling, etc.....at this point does not matter.

This is simply now a sprint to the finish line for a handful of non-BCS teams. I like BYU's chances.
BYU certainly has the inside track right now. The Cougars are kicking hiney and not bothering to take names.

I'd think that even had ECU not lost today; however, that loss was beneficial for the Utes.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:44 AM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
BYU certainly has the inside track right now. The Cougars are kicking hiney and not bothering to take names.

I'd think that even had ECU not lost today; however, that loss was beneficial for the Utes.
What are you taking about? Air Force is a better team than UW, by a mile. BYU's other three games have been at home against three other REALLY bad teams. Utah has played one REALLY bad team, and has two road wins.

Utah has the inside track because it plays BYU in Salt Lake City. Stop being so obsequious and show some guts.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:48 AM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

There was a big cheer at LES when the ECU score flashed on the board.

Now, if only South Florida would lose....I think we could both toast to that.