cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default collecting fast offerings

what is the point?

I have never been in a ward where this is done. Yet in the Aaronic Priesthood manual, it is the 4th lesson of the year, the importance of doing this.

I understand that it is traditional in places like Utah with high densities of Mormons. But it feels more like Utah-centric Mormonism that ignores the realities of "the mission field" (a stupid phrase).

I ignored the lesson and didn't give it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
what is the point?

I have never been in a ward where this is done. Yet in the Aaronic Priesthood manual, it is the 4th lesson of the year, the importance of doing this.

I understand that it is traditional in places like Utah with high densities of Mormons. But it feels more like Utah-centric Mormonism that ignores the realities of "the mission field" (a stupid phrase).

It does seem Utah-centric. I've never seen it done, either. I woudl guess it's to give teenages boys something to do, and maybe it yields better results because you are being asked for a direct donation.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
what is the point?

We did it where I grew up in Houston.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
We did it where I grew up in Houston.
I am stunned. Not that you did it, but that you parted with a nugget of personal information.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Tex

Quote:
I am stunned. Not that you did it, but that you parted with a nugget of personal information.
Back to the topic, it helps deacons to get their first taste of priesthood service.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Back to the topic, it helps deacons to get their first taste of priesthood service.
also their first taste of (1) wasting time and money driving around when (2) it could be done much more efficiently at church.

As if parents and youth leaders need to be pulled away yet again from the rest of their families for this "service".

I get the point that it's about service. But it's also clear that most wards choose not to do this outside of Mormon-ville.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
Tex

Quote:
also their first taste of (1) wasting time and money driving around when (2) it could be done much more efficiently at church.

As if parents and youth leaders need to be pulled away yet again from the rest of their families for this "service".

I get the point that it's about service. But it's also clear that most wards choose not to do this outside of Mormon-ville.
I haven't read the handbook on fast offering collection lately, but I assume that the program is adaptable to the needs of a ward. If a ward's boundaries are so large, for example, that collecting fast offerings would pose an undue burden or expense, then they could be done away with.

Regarding pulling away parents and youth leaders away from family: where possible, deacons should go with their fathers. Compared to the amount of time kids spend at football practice or baseball camp, it's a relative minor sacrifice of time.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

When I was scoutmaster/deacon's quorum advisor we gathered fast offerings but only for those families that for some reason preferred to pay in that manner as opposed to donating at the same time they paid their tithing. This represented less than 10% of the ward so it only took a few minutes. I was toying with the idea of suggesting that we convince the this 10% to convert to the pay-with-tithing method. Then we got a directive from the stake presidency (about 3-4 years ago). They wanted each and every home in the ward to be visited by the deacons for an old-fashioned fast offering collection every month. It went from a ten minute exercise into a 1.5-2 hr exercise. And for the first few months, those poor deacons got yelled at by a lot of members ("Hey, I told you guys that we pay it with our tithing. Why do you keep coming?").
Old 01-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
When I was scoutmaster/deacon's quorum advisor we gathered fast offerings but only for those families that for some reason preferred to pay in that manner as opposed to donating at the same time they paid their tithing. This represented less than 10% of the ward so it only took a few minutes. I was toying with the idea of suggesting that we convince the this 10% to convert to the pay-with-tithing method. Then we got a directive from the stake presidency (about 3-4 years ago). They wanted each and every home in the ward to be visited by the deacons for an old-fashioned fast offering collection every month. It went from a ten minute exercise into a 1.5-2 hr exercise. And for the first few months, those poor deacons got yelled at by a lot of members ("Hey, I told you guys that we pay it with our tithing. Why do you keep coming?").
Wow, yelling at the deacons sure solves a lot. That reflects well on your ward.

I suppose if the stake presidency is going to insist, it would help to inform the members they are coming so they can keep their tempers in check.

Just for the record, I don't care one way or the other how fast offerings are collected. But I see why some priesthood leaders might find it a valuable exercise.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-26-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

actually knocking on doors and being yelled at is good preparation for a priesthood holder as well. Happens frequently.