cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 01:45 AM   #11
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
what causes you to trust government to do it well and in a beneficial manner?

This applies to all of those left of the centerline median. Apparently, you believe a centrally controlled economy is better than a market driven economy. Of course, I would debate you until the cows come home, and use one example.

While China experienced a centrally controlled and dictated economy, it was an ecnomic failure. Only after Deng XioPing implementd free marketstyle reforms did its economy improve and produce sufficient for its peoples. Most of its current problems involve growing too quickly and unwise government controls.

Why do you trust government to do anything it has never done on a large scale in the known history of the world?

What makes you think, maybe next time the morons in government will get it right?
I would also say that China's market is FAR from free. Their market is much more regulated than ours, and they are still thriving. They do all kinds of nutty economic things with their currency, etc.

Too much freedom is also a bad thing (e.g. the roaring 20s and the great depression).
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:49 AM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
As far as it will go. Why do we need to worry about stopping something that is ultimately the best solution for the most people, in terms of obtaining or increasing wealth?
I disagree. If you draw it out to its logical conclusion, you're talking about lowering the salary and standard of living for American workers.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:54 AM   #13
Lost Student

Lost Student is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Too much freedom is also a bad thing (e.g. the roaring 20s and the great depression).
I have to agree with this; however we probably don't agree upon how much is too much. Ever since having read Sinclair's The Jungle in high school, I definitely am in favor of regulating the processed meat industry though.

I guess most of my opinions re: free market come from Kearl's Econ 110 class, where we learned about how great that invisible hand thingie is. Speaking of which, I don't know which is more frightening--the idea of some disembodied, invisible hand controlling our markets and dictating significant portions of our lives, or the fear of getting called on in Kearl's class. He seemed to enjoy disembowling people in front of 700 of their peers.
Lost Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:56 AM   #14
SoonerCoug

Also, I think social safety nets such as social security, medicare, welfare, and unemployment insurance act as automatic stabilizers of the economy during recessions.

None of this existed prior to the Great Depression, of course. This is an example of government involvement that may seem inefficient and silly during times of plenty. However, I think these programs also help keep lots of people afloat during hard times, thereby preventing the pessimism and downward spiral that can lead to more prolonged and severe recessions.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 06-29-2007 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:57 AM   #15
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I disagree. If you draw it out to its logical conclusion, you're talking about lowering the salary and standard of living for American workers.
And when our kids get cut from the football team, let's go yell at the principal and MAKE him/her force the coach to put our kids on the squad. The win/loss record for the team be damned, our kids should be on the team!
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:58 AM   #16
SoonerCoug

Quote:
And when our kids get cut from the football team, let's go yell at the principal and MAKE him/her force the coach to put our kids on the squad. The win/loss record for the team be damned, our kids should be on the team!
...because high school football teams are a microcosm of the free market...?
Old 06-29-2007, 02:01 AM   #17
Colly Wolly

Quote:
...because high school football teams are a microcosm of the free market...?
Is it a bad example? It took me twenty minutes to put it together and I'm quite proud of it
Old 06-29-2007, 02:02 AM   #18
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Is it a bad example? It took me twenty minutes to put it together and I'm quite proud of it
I think high school football teams are a little more like the Chinese economy.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:05 AM   #19
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
Ever since having read Sinclair's The Jungle in high school, I definitely am in favor of regulating the processed meat industry though.
That's funny.

"Mary had a little lamb
and when it became sicken
She sent it down to Packingtown
and now it's labeled "chicken." "

Quote:
Like I said to begin with, It's not a vacuum. Other nations protect their workers. Why shouldn't we do the same?

You don't send your team onto the field naked if the opponents wear pads and helmets.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:06 AM   #20
Colly Wolly

Quote:
I think high school football teams are a little more like the Chinese economy.
Fair enough. I just thought that there was a correlation there. In both situations, our emotions (emotions arent bad) tempt us to give or do something for someone in order to provide rewards that they would have otherwise been able to obtain for themselves had they been sufficiently skilled or competitive in the first place. But because they weren't sufficiently skilled or competitive, the end result is the team/community/society as a whole is probably worse off. Is that way off base?