cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is the worst U.S. President ever?
George W. Bush 7 21.88%
Nixon 3 9.38%
Carter 12 37.50%
Harding 5 15.63%
Grant 2 6.25%
Coolidge 1 3.13%
Polk 0 0%
Johnson 0 0%
Clinton 2 6.25%
Wilson 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2007, 04:31 AM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Who is the worst U.S. President ever?

I think Bush may be our worst president ever. By way of contrasting example, Nixon evinced his hatred for free government, overseeing an administration run amok in civil rights abuses and behaving like a thug himself, his henchmen even breaking and entering into a psychiatrist's office so they could smear a journalist who embarrassed the administration. He instituted wage and price controls ushering in the spiraling inflation of the 70's and '80's. He took seven years to extricate us from Vietnam after being elected on the promise to do so asap. The tapes reveal he was a racist and anti-semite and would have loved to shut down the news outlets. The Code of Federal Regulations tripled in size on his watch. His nuclear arms disarmament initiatives may have prolonged the cold war by ten years or so. He was a terrible president.

Yet Nixon's initiatives in China were truly groundbreaking, even subversive to conservative dogma at the time, and all for the greater good. His diplomacy for better or worse remains the stuff of high historical drama, even legend, and among many consreviatives he retains a mystique as a brilliant albeit damaged person and leader.

Bush has Nixon's dark side, and none of his complexity and positives. He'll go down in history as a shallow, mean, dogmatic little man in the thrall of his mendacious handlers who got us mired into a decade long and pointless war and disgraced us as torturers and civil righs abusers. It was always quite ambiguous who bore the fault for getting us into Vietnam between Johnson and Kennedy, and there was much sympathetic understanding that this was a sort road to hell is paved with good intentions enterprise that unfolded gradually. It's clear Bush got us into Iraq, and by invading a sovereign state on a false premise. He's certainly the least respected and worst president of my life.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:33 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

There were a bunch of terrible 19th Century presidents and Carter is the worst in my book. Bush may be the worst Republican, but Taft wasn't so grand. Hoover?
Old 06-20-2007, 04:33 AM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

James Buchanan.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:35 AM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Define worst, please.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:36 AM   #5
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I think Bush may be our worst president ever. By way of contrasting example, Nixon evinced his hatred for free government, overseeing an administration run amok in civil rights abuses and behaving like a thug himself, his henchmen even breaking and entering into a psychiatrist's office so they could smear a journalist who embarrassed the administration. He instituted wage and price controls ushering in the spiraling inflation of the 70's and '80's. He took seven years to extricate us from Vietnam after being elected on the promise to do so asap. The tapes reveal he was a racist and anti-semite and would have loved to shut down the news outlets. The Code of Federal Regulations tripled in size on his watch. His nuclear arms disarmament initiatives may have prolonged the cold war by ten years or so. He was a terrible president.

Yet Nixon's initiatives in China were truly groundbreaking, even subversive to conservative dogma at the time, and all for the greater good. His diplomacy for better or worse remains the stuff of high historical drama, even legend, and among many consreviatives he retains a mystique as a brilliant albeit damaged person and leader.

Bush has Nixon's dark side, and none of his complexity and positives. He'll go down in history as a shallow, mean, dogmatic little man in the thrall of his mendacious handlers who got us mired into a decade long and pointless war and disgraced us as torturers and civil righs abusers. It was always quite ambiguous who bore the fault for getting us into Vietnam between Johnson and Kennedy, and there was much sympathetic understanding that this was a sort road to hell is paved with good intentions enterprise that unfolded gradually. It's clear Bush got us into Iraq, and by invading a sovereign state on a false premise. He's certainly the least respected and worst president of my life.
It's not often that someone thinks so highly of their own reply that they use it to start another thread with it. Well done.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:37 AM   #6
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
It's not often that someone thinks so highly of their own reply that they use it to start another thread with it. Well done.
You must be a GWB lover.

—Paul Auster
Old 06-20-2007, 04:38 AM   #7
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Bush is definitely the worst president we've had all year.

A little perpective, please. You haven't even listed presidents that were worse than Bush. Hoover beats him by a longshot.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:39 AM   #8
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
You haven't even listed presidents that were worse than Bush. Hoover beats him by a longshot.
Seriously. I learned that when I was five from watching Annie.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:39 AM   #9
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Define worst, please.
The one who violated most egregiously the hippocratic oath of "first do no harm," which ought to be every president's first principle.

—Paul Auster
Old 06-20-2007, 04:40 AM   #10
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You must be a GWB lover.
Nope. But I didn't vote for him in your poll either. I just read your reply to Water's thread and then read your thread and had to go back to the index just to make sure I wasn't reading the same thread is all.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote