cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2006, 01:30 AM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Why are Republicans not in open rebellion?

Republicans have had complete control of the government for multiple years now. What have they accomplished?

The party of "fiscal conservativism" has grossly inflated the national debt. This isn't the first time, by the way. The national debt went from about $800 billion at the end of Carter's presidency to about $4 trillion at the end of Reagan's. Clinton ran a surplus as president. This Bush has added trillions of debt already. Can Republicans really say they are the party of fiscal responsibility? Are voters really interested in voting for Republicans because they think they are fiscally responsible?

Social security- what did they do? This has been a linchpin of the party for decades and they have done nothing. Sure, you can say Democrats were obstructionists. But how many Republicans lined up to make reform happen? How many stuck their necks out when everything was on the line?

Welfare- what have they changed? What have they proposed?

Abortion- what have they done? Granted, there are constitutional limitations, but what have they altered within the framework of what is constitutionally permissible?

Border- Exactly how is it more secure today? Does anyone believe it is?

Ports- What have they done to better secure our ports and inspect incoming cargo?

Taxes- Is there anyone who really thinks their tax burden is substantially lighter today than it was when Republicans took complete control of the government? What are they doing to further reform the tax system? How many years have they talked about simplification of the tax system? What has been done? Is it simple?

While you may argue that Democrats wouldn't do anything better, we don't know because they aren't in complete control of the government. Republicans are. And what have they done with it? This Congress will meet less than the Do Nothing Congress, effectively making it the Do Nothingest Congress. They are on pace to meet for 79 days THIS YEAR. 79!!! In February, the House met for 47 HOURS!!! They have complete control of the government, and they are spending their time campaigning to get another term (and what is the purpose of that, if they are to do nothing once elected?).

You can dislike Democrats. But what do you have to like with Republicans? When given the opportunity to do whatever they want, they have done truly nothing.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:34 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
Republicans have had complete control of the government for multiple years now. What have they accomplished?

The party of "fiscal conservativism" has grossly inflated the national debt. This isn't the first time, by the way. The national debt went from about $800 billion at the end of Carter's presidency to about $4 trillion at the end of Reagan's. Clinton ran a surplus as president. This Bush has added trillions of debt already. Can Republicans really say they are the party of fiscal responsibility? Are voters really interested in voting for Republicans because they think they are fiscally responsible?

Social security- what did they do? This has been a linchpin of the party for decades and they have done nothing. Sure, you can say Democrats were obstructionists. But how many Republicans lined up to make reform happen? How many stuck their necks out when everything was on the line?

Welfare- what have they changed? What have they proposed?

Abortion- what have they done? Granted, there are constitutional limitations, but what have they altered within the framework of what is constitutionally permissible?

Border- Exactly how is it more secure today? Does anyone believe it is?

Ports- What have they done to better secure our ports and inspect incoming cargo?

Taxes- Is there anyone who really thinks their tax burden is substantially lighter today than it was when Republicans took complete control of the government? What are they doing to further reform the tax system? How many years have they talked about simplification of the tax system? What has been done? Is it simple?

While you may argue that Democrats wouldn't do anything better, we don't know because they aren't in complete control of the government. Republicans are. And what have they done with it? This Congress will meet less than the Do Nothing Congress, effectively making it the Do Nothingest Congress. They are on pace to meet for 79 days THIS YEAR. 79!!! In February, the House met for 47 HOURS!!! They have complete control of the government, and they are spending their time campaigning to get another term (and what is the purpose of that, if they are to do nothing once elected?).

You can dislike Democrats. But what do you have to like with Republicans? When given the opportunity to do whatever they want, they have done truly nothing.

All politicians suck, be they Republican or Democrat.

My biggest concern about Democrats is what happened in the 70s under Carter and the Democrat controlled House and Senate - double digit inflation, 20+% interest.

The real problem with the Dems is that they offer nothing that is different. They bitch about what the Republicans have done - your post is a prime example - yet don't offer solutions.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:44 AM   #3
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

My biggest concern about Democrats is what happened in the 70s under Carter and the Democrat controlled House and Senate - double digit inflation, 20+% interest.

The real problem with the Dems is that they offer nothing that is different. They bitch about what the Republicans have done - your post is a prime example - yet don't offer solutions.
Do the politicians suck or the political system? If they are never good then what is the point of democracy?
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:45 AM   #4
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

Sure, Democrats need to present more solutions. I will be the first to admit it. But you miss my point. If Democrats were in control of the House, Senate, Presidency and Supreme Court like Republicans are right now, and if they had done as little as Republicans have done with all that power, I would question if they actually believed what they said they believed. It seems to me the true test of one's convictions is what one does when given the opportunity to do something. Republicans have done nothing. Granted, Democrats haven't either (and I have been vocal in criticizing them for that), but they have ZERO power right now (which is largely their fault, but that is another topic).

People may claim to be Republicans today, and I can only wonder why. Forget about Democrats for a moment. With complete control of the government, what would you have wanted Republicans to do, and how close have they come to doing it?

I would have expected open rebellion for such a situation.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:17 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Good question. I no loinger consider myself a Republican - haven't since Papa Bush because the Republican party is not the party that was around when Reagan left office. I agree that Republicans should revolt, but it seems that in today's world, nobody has the guts to not be partisan. And I'm not just talking politicians. The voters are really no different.

As for tax cuts, I paid less last year than I have for several years, but then, my best friend is a CPA whose job it is to find a way for me to pay less taxes. It also helps that under GW I get $500 per kid. (4 kids are nice to have - great little deductions)

I want accountabllity from all politicians. Unfortunately, we'll never get it. That is how it works today.

Realistically, all we can do is vote our conscience in the upcoming elections. From there, we're at the mercy of the political machine that DC has become.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:49 AM   #6
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Bitch, bitch, bitch.

You deserve no explantation and no justification of what the Republicans have or have not done while in power.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:16 AM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

This matter is decidedly unrealistic. Nobody bitches about their party to provide ammo for the opposition. When the Dems controlled everything, nothng positive was being accomplished. Did we hear Dems deriding their party? Of course.

This is a siren's call intended to further damage the Republicans more so than they have done to themselves.

Dems have no one ounce of integrity on this issue.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:00 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Do the politicians suck or the political system? If they are never good then what is the point of democracy?
I beleive one is a result of the other - a never-ending cycle. A democracy is a good thing to have;, the trouble is that politcians will say what they need to get elected then do nothing to change the political system.

I don't think I'm making much sense here, but I'll finish up by saying that politicians care only about their next re-election. And we as a public deserve what we get if we're eumb enough to elect any of them.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:03 AM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

What about, because our best people are in other fields, shows our democracy works. The positions of power are no longer essential in the daily lives of the citizens. We can function somewhat independent of the largesse they wish to heap upon us.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:12 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What about, because our best people are in other fields, shows our democracy works. The positions of power are no longer essential in the daily lives of the citizens. We can function somewhat independent of the largesse they wish to heap upon us.
That's a great point - democracy works despite politics.