cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 11:05 PM   #61
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
As much as I advocate fighting to the bitter end, I'd rather not have a bitter end.
A great post. Just wanted to let you know that I'll be stealing this line.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:48 PM   #62
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
one thing I have to hand to 187_skillz.

He puts his money where his mouth is. He tacitly approves genocide, and he chooses to be in the military, to put himself in harms way.

A lot of people around here talk big, but I don't see them going out and trying to actually take it to the enemy.

I read about a woman in Arizona, 41 years old, just enlisted.
When it became clear to me that I was not going to go farther in baseball than college, I seriously considered enlisting; however, I was rejected for a heart trouble - mitral regurgitation - which I've had pretty much all my life.

I've wondered why if it didn't prevent me from playing ball, why would it prevent me from military duty?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:32 AM   #63
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
You need to read the bit between 4th Nephi and Ether VERY closely. There's a reason the Nephites were exterminated, and it had more to do with their own bloodthirsty, gung ho attitude than anything else.

The Nephites were situated in a nearly impregnable spot, plugging up the narrow neck. They could have remained their indefinitely, and Mormon knew this. He was busy building up his own defenses. Yet, his own people were so zealous about eliminating the enemy forces that they went out on their own offensive strike. Not only was the offensive unsuccessful, it decimated the defending troops, and being thus weakened, they were forced from their defenses. "And from this time forth did the Nephites gain no power over the Lamanites, but began to be swept off by them even as a dew before the sun."

The two greatest Nephite generals, Captain Moroni and Mormon, both advocated defense over offense. Neither were interested in offensives, and only once in the entire book did a hot-tempered Moroni even indicate he might try an offensive campaign in what many feel was an empty threat he had no intention of following up upon. Both generals saw the ultimate solution to the Lamanite problem lying beyond the battlefield.

The difference between the two? Moroni's men believed him. Mormon's men didn't. One group survived. The other didn't.

As much as I advocate fighting to the bitter end, I'd rather not have a bitter end.
I'd rather not have a bitter end either, and I've never said I advocate extermination of a people, but of course Mike for the sake of stoking the fires more will tell you otherwise. But Then again, no surprise for someone like him who doesn't even have the simple wherewithal to state where he stands.

Instead he'd rather instigate, provoke and then when he gets a like response in return, then will try what he's learned in his psychology profession/classes to turn it back on you.

Fake and transparent.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 08-02-2006 at 12:34 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote