cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 07:51 PM   #31
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
Do you have to go fight anybody who tries to pick a fight with you?

I honestly believe that this struggle will not end until one side shows that it means not to fight. The only way to effectively show this disposition is by your own blood-- the Ammonites come to mind.

You ask who's side he is on. Is it wrong to say that, even though he is an American loyal to his country, that he wants peace for the sake of his brothers on the other side of the line?
We're not picking a fight. We're defending ourselves and sometimes if pre-emptive strikes are required then so be it.

It's not wrong to say it, more than ever people need to decide what they believe in and what they're willing to fight for,,,instead we have those just hem and haw and justify both sides, make excuses, and never have any clarity about where they stand and what they stand for.

People need to start getting a set.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 08-01-2006 at 07:53 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:53 PM   #32
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
We're not picking a fight. We're defending ourselves and sometimes if pre-emptive strikes are required then so be it.
But they're defending themselves, too.

We're all defending ourselves. And as long as we're all defending ourselves, when will the fighting stop?
Old 08-01-2006, 07:54 PM   #33
RockyBalboa

Quote:
But they're defending themselves, too.

We're all defending ourselves. And as long as we're all defending ourselves, when will the fighting stop?
So we just throw down our weapons and say..."Ok, I'll let you kill me." Wake up.

Yeah a terrorist who flies a plane in the world trade center is just "defending himself." What a crock of shit.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #34
All-American

Quote:
So we just throw down our weapons and say..."Ok, I'll let you kill me." Wake up.

Yeah a terrorist who flies a plane in the world trade center is just "defending himself." What a crock of shit.
Worked for the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's. Even Moroni was willing to let his enemies go with only a promise not to fight again, knowing how easily and likely that oath was to be broken.

The other option is the elimination of one side, the other, or both. You choose.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:04 PM   #35
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Worked for the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's. Even Moroni was willing to let his enemies go with only a promise not to fight again, knowing how easily and likely that oath was to be broken.

The other option is the elimination of one side, the other, or both. You choose.
Exactly.

Moroni apparently left it upon the heads of the covenant makers.

I kinda like the gospel being preached to the captives but a secular government couldn't demand that.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:05 PM   #36
RockyBalboa

Quote:

Different times, different results. Weak and unrealistic comparison in this day and age and you know it.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:32 PM   #37
All-American

Quote:
Different times, different results. Weak and unrealistic comparison in this day and age and you know it.
"Behold, I speak unto you as if ye were present, and yet ye are not. But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and I know your doing."

Just what do you suppose the Book of Mormon is? A nifty storybook meant to frame the gospel message it contains?

The comparison of the Book of Mormon to modern times is only weak and unrealistic until it is repeated, as we have been assured is inevitable. It was sure unrealistic that an Amalickiah could possibly show up, usurp a government, and start a major war until Hitler and Stalin arrived on the world scene. The Book of Mormon is not just a MESSAGE. It is a WARNING, and if it's not followed, it will be repeated.

Unrealistic? No, it is the price of peace. You are willing to give up the lives of others to gain peace, but are you willing to give up your own?

Last edited by All-American; 08-01-2006 at 08:39 PM.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #38
RockyBalboa

Quote:
"Behold, I speak unto you as if ye were present, and yet ye are not. But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and I know your doing."

Just what do you suppose the Book of Mormon is? A nifty storybook meant to frame the gospel message it contains?

The comparison of the Book of Mormon to modern times is only weak and unrealistic until it is repeated, as we have been assured is inevitable. It was sure unrealistic that an Amalickiah could possibly show up, usurp a government, and start a major war until Hitler and Stalin arrived on the world scene.

The Book of Mormon is not just a MESSAGE. It is a WARNING, and if it's not followed, it will be repeated.
That's right and it's being repeated right now. It happened during Hitler's age and now the Terrorists who seek to kill you and your family are repeating that. If they had their druthers you'd be wiped off the face of the map.

Mike keeps on making subtle clever jabs about those want genocide and who are for the annihliation of Muslims and the faith of Islam. I've yet to say it myself or others make that claim, though I'm sure they're out there. But you don't see them running around in droves, in packs, teaching their kids from birth to kill, hate and annihilate.

Whether we as citizens of America like it or not, we're in a position where REACTING is a dangerous stance. We must be pro-active on the war on terror instead of making apologies for those small percentages of those in the Islam faith who're wanting to destroy Jews, Christians and anyone who thinks differently. Someone says to take them out and that statement is skewed by apologists.

I don't know the perfect solution as there is not one, but we can't sit idly by, while making excuses for the other side.

This isn't a day and age and this isn't a fight that someone should ever be neutral on.

In my mind excuses for them and stances of neutrality all while deliberately mis-representing others views is a slap in the face of our soldiers and the families of those who've spilled their blood to protect us in this war.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #39
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Discussing options, contemplating consequences before taking actions shouldn't be viewed as "sitting idly by doing nothing".

In light of the many problems over there, it seems more rational to review carefully the options, lay out a plan and to follow it.

I don't know about you, but sending sons and daughters to war is NOT appealing. My children are approaching that age and I hope they do not choose that profession, honorable as it truly is. I want to see them grow up old with grandchildren of their own. I'm selfish that way.

Moreover, I do not want for myself, or for anybody I know, to become good at killing. Killing, even in defense, should be an abhorrent thing, done out of necessity. To desensitize that feeling would be a travesty IMHO.

We should take cautious actino whenever the lives of our sons and daughters are involved.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #40
All-American

Quote:
That's right and it's being repeated right now. It happened during Hitler's age and now the Terrorists who seek to kill you and your family are repeating that. If they had their druthers you'd be wiped off the face of the map.

Mike keeps on making subtle clever jabs about those want genocide and who are for the annihliation of Muslims and the faith of Islam. I've yet to say it myself or others make that claim, though I'm sure they're out there. But you don't see them running around in droves, in packs, teaching their kids from birth to kill, hate and annihilate.

Whether we as citizens of America like it or not, we're in a position where REACTING is a dangerous stance. We must be pro-active on the war on terror instead of making apologies for those small percentages of those in the Islam faith who're wanting to destroy Jews, Christians and anyone who thinks differently. Someone says to take them out and that statement is skewed by apologists.

I don't know the perfect solution as there is not one, but we can't sit idly by, while making excuses for the other side.

This isn't a day and age and this isn't a fight that someone should ever be neutral on.

In my mind excuses for them and stances of neutrality all while deliberately mis-representing others views is a slap in the face of our soldiers and the families of those who've spilled their blood to protect us in this war.
And how do you respond to people who are out to kill you?

You acknowledged that history "is repeating itself now." Are you likewise able to find a solution? And just for fun, could you find it from the Book of Mormon?