cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2008, 03:05 AM   #41
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
I wasn't offended. If I was black, I would have been. The comparison is offensive. Do you not see why? Then you need to study the racial history in our country again and the South's massive resistance to desegregating. What DC is doing is not even close. And it's not about race; it's about guns.
So, just to make sure I understand you correctly: you weren't offended, you were just saying the analogy is offensive on behalf of others?

Perhaps I have reading comprehension problems but I understood the comparison to be about Federal might winning out over local/state defiance. It may or may not be apt; however, I don't see why it is offensive just because the federal/state battle happened to be about segregation. It would be helpful if you could please explain why.

After your explanation, I have some follow-up question(s) for you: Do you think any analogy/story/topic involving blacks/segregation is offensive? If not, would you mind explaining the dividing line between what is and isn't offensive if an analogy/story/topic involves blacks/segregation? How does one know what one can and can't say about blacks/segregation without offending?

Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 07-18-2008 at 03:06 AM. Reason: clarity
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:07 AM   #42
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
So, just to make sure I understand you correctly: you weren't offended, you were just saying the analogy is offensive on behalf of others?

Perhaps I have reading comprehension problems but I understood the comparison to be about Federal might winning out over local/state defiance. It may or may not be apt; however, I don't see why it is offensive just because the federal/state battle happened to be about segregation. It would be helpful if you could please explain why.

After your explanation, I have some follow-up question(s) for you: Do you think any analogy/story/topic involving blacks/segregation is offensive? If not, would you mind explaining the dividing line between what is and isn't offensive if an analogy/story/topic involves blacks/segregation? How does one know what one can and can't say about blacks/segregation without offending?
Easy. If one is offended by something you say, it is because one chooses to be offended.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:14 AM   #43
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:

If the DC government actually had just reenacted a gun ban, then you're right, the analogy would have been apt, and you wouldn't have heard a peep from me. The DC government didn't do that. But some emotional extremism as it relates to guns caused people here to conjure up comparison to black children being water-hosed and Governor Wallace blocking the doors to black students -- all of which were done in direct defiance of federal law. Here, the DC government isn't defying anything: they're just doing as little as the Supreme Court said they had to. That's why it was offensive: our nation's racial history was opportunistically used to cover up a sloppy and emotional argument about owning guns.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:15 AM   #44
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Easy. If one is offended by something you say, it is because one chooses to be offended.
I actually agree with you: but can't you recognize something as being offensive without you yourself being offended?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Old 07-18-2008, 03:19 AM   #45
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I actually agree with you: but can't you recognize something as being offensive without you yourself being offended?
Yes, I can see why something could be considered offensive.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:32 AM   #46
BigFatMeanie

Quote:
If the DC government actually had just reenacted a gun ban, then you're right, the analogy would have been apt, and you wouldn't have heard a peep from me. The DC government didn't do that. But some emotional extremism as it relates to guns caused people here to conjure up comparison to black children being water-hosed and Governor Wallace blocking the doors to black students -- all of which were done in direct defiance of federal law. Here, the DC government isn't defying anything: they're just doing as little as the Supreme Court said they had to. That's why it was offensive: our nation's racial history was opportunistically used to cover up a sloppy and emotional argument about owning guns.
I never said the analogy was apt so I can't t be "right" or "wrong" because I'm not making a claim. I asked for an explanation of your opinion, which you have provided. Thank you for that. Unfortunately, you didn't answer the follow-up questions.

Another curious thought I had: You also just said you weren't offended so how can you claim the analogy was offensive? Do you have some insight on what the average black person would think if they heard the analogy? If so, how did you gain such insight?

Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 07-18-2008 at 03:32 AM. Reason: removed snark
Old 07-18-2008, 03:32 AM   #47
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But some emotional extremism as it relates to guns caused people here to conjure up comparison to black children being water-hosed and Governor Wallace blocking the doors to black students -- all of which were done in direct defiance of federal law.
Are you really ascribing that to me? After I have said I misread it?
Old 07-18-2008, 03:35 AM   #48
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Are you really ascribing that to me? After I have said I misread it?
No; I was thinking of Waters.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:39 AM   #49
Levin

Quote:
I never said the analogy was apt so I can't t be "right" or "wrong" because I'm not making a claim. I asked for an explanation of your opinion, which you have provided. Thank you for that. Unfortunately, you didn't answer the follow-up questions.

Another curious thought I had: You also just said you weren't offended so how can you claim the analogy was offensive? Do you have some insight on what the average black person would think if they heard the analogy? If so, how did you gain such insight?
I ascribe to the camp that you can understand how something could be offensive to others without being offended yourself.

As to your follow-up questions; when analogies and such are apt, they're apt. So if comparisons to the struggle for racial equality are apt, use them by all means. When you opportunistically cover up a sloppy and weak argument with them, I'll take aim and fire. But not b/c I think it is a big deal or that anybody here are racists; but to get some clarity on the arguments being deployed.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:42 AM   #50
BigFatMeanie

Quote:
I can't. Something is offensive if it one deems it to be such. The term "offensive" is by definition a subjective term.

If something isn't offensive to me then I really have a hard time understanding why someone else would find it offensive. Conversely, if something offends me, I really don't understand why it wouldn't offend others. I'm careful to avoid taking offense and I'm careful about doing/saying something that I personally would consider offensive but I conclude it is impossible to learn what every other individual on the earth would consider offensive. Heck, I think it is impossible to learn about and try to avoid subjects that only the individual I interact with consider offensive. Because it is impossible, I deem it irrational to consider or worry about what someone else might think is offensive.