cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #91
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
There's no more income tax. That essentially means the consumer decides how much in taxes he will pay b/c the government doesn't take out a mandatory slice beforehand. I see that as an opportunity for a net gain. Instead of the gov't automatically taking 30% out, I now have discretion how much I pay out in taxes through my consumption choices. And, as for myself, I would consume less and save more in order to capitalize on the opportunity for a windfall.

That's what we'd been discussing in previous posts. Is that reasoning entirely off?
Perhaps you would spend less, but most people have the natural tendency to consume as much as they can. With more money in the pocket, they'll spend it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:53 PM   #92
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I know I'm just feeding the troll, but ... can't resist ... dance ... of ... death ...

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...8&postcount=62

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...8&postcount=35

I await the next post explaining why these links don't indicate him attacking the source.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:58 PM   #93
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
There's no more income tax. That essentially means the consumer decides how much in taxes he will pay b/c the government doesn't take out a mandatory slice beforehand. I see that as an opportunity for a net gain. Instead of the gov't automatically taking 30% out, I now have discretion how much I pay out in taxes through my consumption choices. And, as for myself, I would consume less and save more in order to capitalize on the opportunity for a windfall.

That's what we'd been discussing in previous posts. Is that reasoning entirely off?
I didn't realize you were debating a consumption tax versus an income tax. This direction has merit but will never be adopted. I wish it would. Carry on.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #94
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Perhaps you would spend less, but most people have the natural tendency to consume as much as they can. With more money in the pocket, they'll spend it.
I see it going the other way b/c the consumption tax will make everything seem so much more expensive.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:05 AM   #95
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I know I'm just feeding the troll, but ... can't resist ... dance ... of ... death ...

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...8&postcount=62

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...8&postcount=35

I await the next post explaining why these links don't indicate him attacking the source.
I didn't say I don't attack the source. I said this:

"Tex, in the instances I recall where you posted an article that I bashed, the paper itself was the one giving the opinion (which they clearly identified as opinion). That isn't a "source" in the sense of a source that is stating facts. It is just another voice giving just another opinion. It is astonishing you can't figure that out."

In both instances you just cited, it was an editorial by a paper. They didn't pretend to have any special insight. They didn't pretend to have conducted any scientific study of the issue or pretend to be presenting any fact. They presented their opinion in the form of an editorial. You then linked to those papers' opinions to bolster your argument. How does that bolster your argument? Answer: it doesn't. The fact that a newspaper editorial agrees with you isn't evidence that your position is correct. It is a statement that someone else holds your position (i.e., an appeal to popularity- a logical fallacy).

You want to show that I "attacked your source" when you clearly didn't have the intelligence to understand the simple concept that you took a position, used someone else's opinion as support for your position, and I challenged your use of that "source" as support for your position (because it's use was a logical fallacy).

My comment of "link" in response to your silly post was for a link to this claim of yours:

"Anyway, I'm not going to get started on the "dance of death" as some have amusingly called it. I just found it funny that you get all hot-and-bothered about bad sourcing, when you yourself are guilty of the same."

You aren't a very good dancer.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:07 AM   #96
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
"Anyway, I'm not going to get started on the "dance of death" as some have amusingly called it.
Arch or myboynoah called it that; can't remember which. Look it up yourself.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:18 AM   #97
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Arch or myboynoah called it that; can't remember which. Look it up yourself.
About par for the course.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote