cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default "The death penalty is not a proportional punishment for the rape of a child"

So says Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy in yet another 5-4 decision.

It's hard for me not to just be thoroughly disgusted with that statement.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080625/..._co/scotus_rdp

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
Tex

A snippet from the Alito's dissent:

Quote:
The Court today holds that the Eighth Amendment categorically prohibits the imposition of the death penalty for the crime of raping a child. This is so, according to the Court, no matter how young the child, no matter how many times the child is raped, no matter how many children the perpetrator rapes, no matter how sadistic the crime, no matter how much physical or psychological trauma is inflicted, and no matter how heinous the perpetrator’s prior criminal record may be. The Court provides two reasons for this sweeping conclusion: First, the Court claims to have identified “a national consensus” that the death penalty is never acceptable for the rape of a child;second, the Court concludes, based on its “independent judgment,” that imposing the death penalty for child rape is inconsistent with “‘the evolving standards of decency that mark the progress of a maturing society.’”
I especially like that first reason, the "national consensus." How many of you are comfortable with 9 judges (or 5, actually) making decisions about what constitutes a "national consensus" about something?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 06-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
Tex

One more snippet. Here's National Review's Ed Whelan summarizing the details of the crime that precipitated this decision:

Quote:
Warning: The facts are graphic and awful. Kennedy (not the justice) was charged with the aggravated rape of L.H., his then-8-year-old stepdaughter. When police found L.H. some two hours after the attack, she was bleeding profusely from the vaginal area. She was transported to the hospital, where she was discovered to have a laceration to the left wall of the vagina that “separated her cervix from the back of her vagina, causing her rectum to protrude into the vaginal structure. Her entire perineum was torn from the posterior fourchette to the anus. The injuries required emergency surgery.” Shortly after he committed the rape, Kennedy called a colleague to ask “how to get blood out of a white carpet because his daughter had ‘just become a lady.’”
This just makes me furious.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 06-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

In general, I am uncomfortable with the crime of rape being a captial offence.

Why? Because of the frequency of false claims and wrongful convictions.

Of course, I am more of a civil libertarian than about 99% of the people here.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

RHETORICAL QUESTION, SO DON'T GO INTO GRAPHIC DETAIL

Tex, what level of sexual contact is necessary to warrant a death sentence? Even if perchance this specific instance is sufficient, where is the line drawn on from the inappropriate touching of clothed children to the violent assault in this case?

I think limiting capital punishment to homicides may be the appropriate stance to take.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The death penalty is just plain a travesty. I wish I could just call it ridiculous. Were the issue not so grave that would be the most accurate adjective.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
Tex

The Court's opinion re-iterates the conditions for aggravated rape, which is what this man was charged with. I'll include the link below. You can decide if the law is just or not. A separate question is whether the Court's reasoning in this case is sound, which I agree with Alito, it's not.

As you may have gathered, it's hard for me to read the facts of this case and not agree with it.

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-343.pdf

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 06-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
RHETORICAL QUESTION, SO DON'T GO INTO GRAPHIC DETAIL

Tex, what level of sexual contact is necessary to warrant a death sentence? Even if perchance this specific instance is sufficient, where is the line drawn on from the inappropriate touching of clothed children to the violent assault in this case?

I think limiting capital punishment to homicides may be the appropriate stance to take.
That a false accusation from a boy scout might lead to a trial for a capital offense I think would be very scary for many men in the church called to be in scouting. It's already scary enough that a false accusation can destroy your life, without the death penalty in the picture.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
That a false accusation from a boy scout might lead to a trial for a capital offense I think would be very scary for many men in the church called to be in scouting. It's already scary enough that a false accusation can destroy your life, without the death penalty in the picture.
Black men have a similar fear about being falsely accused and charged of crimes in general, including capital crimes, because of their skin color, in places like Louisiana and Texas.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Black men have a similar fear about being falsely accused and charged of crimes in general, including capital crimes, because of their skin color, in places like Louisiana and Texas.
How about the details of this particular case? Doesn't seem to have any Boy Scouts or (specifically) black men involved here.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young