cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #41
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Which people said it was a torture camp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I understand the point that Gitmo is not the torture camp that people have said it is. I'm just saying that this is as far as that fact takes you. The fact that they are treated well is often trotted out and the intimation is, what do these guys really have to complain about. Perhaps I am responding more to that than what Tex was quoting, but I see that intimation in the quote.
BTW..........why OK to put a crucifix in a jar of urine and call it art and the same people freak out if the Koran is dropped on the floor? Those people?
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #42
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Oh THAT family. The one who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
How does one take a family there? They serve themselves food out of pots? Forget Maui, I'll go with Gitmo.

Seriiously, who here believes the current conditions at Gitmo don't have something to do with the laser beam of scrutiny it's received? Have prisoners there always struggled with whether to play basketball or soccer?

Please... Fox News viewers may be unable to see a whitewash, but I can.
encourages you to blow yourself up in their honor? Yeah!
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #43
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The woman's occupation is fair game in considering her motives, as far as I'm concerned. The public is obviously welcome when weighing her stories to take her perspective and slant into account.

That said, do you have any substantive reason to doubt her?
Do I have any substantive reason to believe her?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #44
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Innocent until proven guilty?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #45
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Innocent until proven guilty?
Who's on trial?
Old 06-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #46
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Who's on trial?
In the court of public opinion?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:07 PM   #47
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
In the court of public opinion?
You think the "court" of public opinion operates on the principle of innocent until proven guilty?
Old 06-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #48
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
You think the "court" of public opinion operates on the principle of innocent until proven guilty?
I haven't personally examined the book, but I can make a fair assumption that she probably provides at least some reference and/or documentation for her claims. I also find it a reasonable assumption that the publisher did fair due diligence on her claims before putting their company name on the book. These are just assumptions (not "proof"), but they are reasonable ones.

As a non-lawyer, I'm not professionally obligated to assume that anyone on the opposing side of an argument is automatically lying. In normal human relations, people are typically given the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Moreover, you said "even if" her story was true, it wouldn't tell us about how the detainees are being treated; an odd assertion, given that detainee treatment is exactly what she's talking about. As I said before, if you were to accept her story as true, you'd really have nothing to argue about.

Last edited by Tex; 06-17-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #49
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I haven't personally examined the book, but I can make a fair assumption that she probably provides at least some reference and/or documentation for her claims. I also find it a reasonable assumption that the publisher did fair due diligence on her claims before putting their company name on the book. These are just assumptions (not "proof"), but they are reasonable ones.

As a non-lawyer, I'm not professionally obligated to assume that anyone on the opposing side of an argument is automatically lying. In normal human relations, people are typically given the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Moreover, you said "even if" her story was true, it wouldn't tell us about how the detainees are being treated; an odd assertion, given that detainee treatment is exactly what she's talking about. As I said before, if you were to accept her story as true, you'd really have nothing to argue about.
Surely you can do better than that. We are now operating on assumptions that she has proof of her claims and assumptions that book publishers require proof before publishing (and saying that such assumptions are reasonable) AND assuming that she has no ulterior motive in making her claims AND assuming that she isn't withholding additional information about detainee treatment that is more negative? THAT is what you are going with here? Um, okay.

She is a prosecuting attorney at Gitmo. That isn't exactly a statement from the Red Cross. And if I assume that what she says is true, I don't see how that proves that the detainees are being treated well. I find it amusing that you don't see why.

Assume the following (this is an analogy, and I know you struggle with these, but try to keep up):

A person is required to remain in a location against that person's will.
The location is actually a gigantic palace, and the person has access to personal servants who deliver delicious food and wine.
The palace has many forms of entertainment available to the person.

Should we assume that the person is living a great life and is treated well?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #50
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Surely you can do better than that. We are now operating on assumptions that she has proof of her claims and assumptions that book publishers require proof before publishing (and saying that such assumptions are reasonable) AND assuming that she has no ulterior motive in making her claims AND assuming that she isn't withholding additional information about detainee treatment that is more negative? THAT is what you are going with here? Um, okay.
I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt, like any reasonable person would do. You are not that person.

Quote:
Should we assume that the person is living a great life and is treated well?
Another bad analogy. You're arguing that imprisonment itself is de facto poor treatment, which is a separate discussion that you insist on conflating with this one. I'll help you out and start a new thread where you can pontificate on that topic.

As to this one, a reasonable person would evaluate how the detainees are being treated compared to (1) what is considered humane generally, and (2) what is typical for an enemy combatant. All the evidence, from this woman and from others, points to the conclusion that the US is exceeding the standard on both counts.

Last edited by Tex; 06-17-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote