cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

also Tex, why do we claim that Israel is democratic, when it doesn't allow Palestinians who live in Israel to vote?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:23 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Apparently you live under the same illusion. It was 40 years ago.
This is precisely the strategy that the Israelis are following. Stretch out the occupation as long as possible, gradually expand the settlements, and pretty soon the world will grow fatigued and accept the confiscation as a foregone conclusion.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

at the end of the day, the Palestinians will never accept any settlement that does not address the right to return. On the other side, the Israelis seem to have decided that they will never accept a settlement that does address the right to return.

As far as I can tell, the ball is in the Israelis court. they have all the money, all the power, all the weapons.

We ourselves live in a dishonest society where if you even acknowledge that the Palestinians have a point or two, you will be shouted down as a bigot.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
human rights no longer apply because something happened 40 years ago?

If Israelis have chosen this, then they have chosen to send their children to die fighting the children of their neighbors, whom will also die.

What sympathy should I have for the Israelis, when they choose to make the Palestinian plight even worse?
Bad things happen in war. People get displaced. Borders change. Right of return is not necessarily a "human right."

The Palestinian plight is not solely a product of Israeli "occupation." Read some history on the conflict, then get back to me.

Quote:
also Tex, why do we claim that Israel is democratic, when it doesn't allow Palestinians who live in Israel to vote?
That is certainly one undemocratic part of their process, one acknowledged by honest Israelis. It's a problem without a perfect solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
This is precisely the strategy that the Israelis are following. Stretch out the occupation as long as possible, gradually expand the settlements, and pretty soon the world will grow fatigued and accept the confiscation as a foregone conclusion.
Hasn't worked after 40 years, has it.

Those of you who are deluded enough to think the Israelis are going to just pick up and go home didn't pay attention to the Gaza withdrawal.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

also, I would point out that the American Evangelical/Israeli alliance seems like a mutual destruction pact. In that both seem to be aiming for the destruction of Israel.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:29 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Well Tex, if Israel took it by force, it seems to me that the Palestinians can't be faulted for trying to take it back by force as well.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #17
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I am not a historical scholar, so I ask this question. How many of the Muslim nations were demanding the Soviets get out of Eastern Bloc Countries? Right now are the Muslim nations demanding China get out of Tibet? What demands are they making of the Burma Junta?

I would like to see a settlement and I would like to see Isarael in a position to give them some land and have peace. However, I don't know why but I can't seem to think unless Israel just packs up and moves to the US the Arabs will leave them alone.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I am not a historical scholar, so I ask this question. How many of the Muslim nations were demanding the Soviets get out of Eastern Bloc Countries? Right now are the Muslim nations demanding China get out of Tibet? What demands are they making of the Burma Junta?

I would like to see a settlement and I would like to see Isarael in a position to give them some land and have peace. However, I don't know why but I can't seem to think unless Israel just packs up and moves to the US the Arabs will leave them alone.
just like Mormons stand up for the persecuted and oppressed?

Exactly.

People care about their own interests, but they'll be darned if they will go out on a limb for someone else.

Many LDS are cheering in the streets that the FLDS had their kids taken away.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #19
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well Tex, if Israel took it by force, it seems to me that the Palestinians can't be faulted for trying to take it back by force as well.

Exactly, so take the restraints off of Israel and let them deal with their problem. It might be well to let them know we will protect them from outside forces, but they are on their own with the Arab nations.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #20
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Right. Those SOB Jews are just picking on the poor innocent Arabs.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote