cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2008, 08:00 PM   #31
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
What does this mean? It seems like nothing more than a platitude.

How does it lessen the value of a marriage?

If two guys get married in San Diego, the value of your marriage is lessened? How? Gay people in other countries can marry. Are you saying that heterosexual marriages in those countries are less valid or meaningful? Makes no sense, unless I am missing some huge point.
Yes, you are missing a huge point. The argument could be: Many people believe homosexuality is evil. Recognizing such behavior by allowing it to participate in the institution of marriage is going to cheapen the value of said institution. Furthermore, many people believe marriage was instituted by God, and they want to protect it from an homosexuality.

I'm not saying I agree 100% with the above, but the argument should be obvious to any Church member.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #32
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
Yes, you are missing a huge point. The argument could be: Many people believe homosexuality is evil. Recognizing such behavior by allowing it to participate in the institution of marriage is going to cheapen the value of said institution. Furthermore, many people believe marriage was instituted by God, and they want to protect it from an homosexuality.

I'm not saying I agree 100% with the above, but the argument should be obvious to any Church member.
The Church lets sinners be members.

It doesnt cheapen the institution.

You still do not explain HOW the value is cheapened. You just keep repeating that it would. walk me through your marriage, specifically. How does the value drop after gay marriage is legalized?

Marriage will not be affected, so no, I still dont see the point.

All of your reasons (not yours personally but the ones you provided) simply seem to reflect homophobia, not much else. There is no rationale to it.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #33
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
What increase in benefits would there be?

"California already offers same-sex couples who register as domestic partners the same legal rights and responsibilities as married spouses, including the right to divorce and to sue for child support."
My mistake - I wasn't clear.

I should have stated that the number of recipients of benefits would increase.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:14 PM   #34
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'll bet the food at a gay wedding would be incredible.
Why do you say that? My gay associates are some of the most slender people I know. I picture fruit (no pun), cheese and crackers, and lots of wine. Crates and crates of wine.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #35
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Why do you say that? My gay associates are some of the most slender people I know. I picture fruit (no pun), cheese and crackers, and lots of wine. Crates and crates of wine.
Another more horrific scenario would involve a gay couple into 70's kitsch. While the pigs-in-a-blanket would be ok, the exotic jello molds would put off all but the most hard-core Utah Mormon.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #36
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Not unrepentant people engaging in homosexual relations.

Quote:
I heard you the first time, and it is still a matter of opinion.

Quote:
You still do not explain HOW the value is cheapened. You just keep repeating that it would. walk me through your marriage, specifically. How does the value drop after gay marriage is legalized?

All of your reasons (not yours personally but the ones you provided) simply seem to reflect homophobia, not much else. There is no rationale to it.
The rationale is simple. It's as if the standards were lowered for something after you have achieved a previous, higher standard. For example, if the requirements for getting an M.D. were suddenly made easier, some existing M.D.s may be opposed to that.

Marriage will not be affected? It is very much affected in the sense that the definition is changing.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:28 PM   #37
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

It should affect those of the LDS persuasion even less. As we do not have civil unions but everlasting covenants. How does this cheapen your temple marriage?
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:37 PM   #38
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:

This issue has been hashed over and over and I have walked through how it would cheapen the value of marriage. I'm not going to restate it, but the writings of Stanley Kurtz re: gay marriage in Scandinavia make sense to me. You disagree, fine. But it's more complex than dismissing it as purely homophobia.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:41 PM   #39
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Homosexuality is harmful to the individual. The more homosexuality is accepted in society and government, the more it is practiced by an increasing amount of individuals, who are then harmed by that destructive and irrational lifestyle. The largest negative effect this will have is by further confusing and misleading the children of California and America to go down dangerous life paths. THAT is why Christian groups oppose pro-gay legislation, because of the corrupting effect they have on society and the overall quality of life. Just look at the suicide and abuse levels, let alone the parenting issues.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:57 PM   #40
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Do you hate Brown v. Board of Education? Did you hate it when federal courts enjoined Governor Wallace's brownshirts from obstructing blacks from the University of Alabama? Sometimes the courts have to intervene when the majority infringes basic liberties. That's their most important function and why federal judges are appointed and not elected. Not a perfect system, though, grant you. But it's the best there is and history shows could possibly be.
Well put.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote