cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2008, 01:25 AM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default Obama knows he's going to get slaughtered on national security

His distortion of McCain's "100 year" comment to mean a "100-year war" is evidence of how insecure his campaign is on the issue. If Obama had any real security credentials, he'd be able to attack on substance. Instead, he's relying on uneducated voters who don't understand what McCain meant.

Amusing.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/0...-war-comments/

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:35 AM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

What exactly are McCain's national security credentials? That he was a soldier in Vietnam?

What were Clintons or Bush's?

Since the Pentagon makes our security decisions, I am not really worried about credentials. Perhaps you can help me understand what McCain knows that Obama does NOT know or cannot readily find out from one of his cabinet members or advisors?

This is a bi-partisan comment, actually. I am not convinced that any of our past presidents had any special or noteworthy "national security credentials." What were Reagan's?

The older I get, the more I realize that our Presidents do very little other than travel around, give speeches, and waste taxpayer money on elaborate motorcades.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:04 AM   #3
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
What were Reagan's?

The older I get, the more I realize that our Presidents do very little other than travel around, give speeches, and waste taxpayer money on elaborate motorcades.
I generally agree. However, I'm still very convinced (and this may, in fact, be my quirkiest political belief) that Reagan's military policies brought down the Soviet Union. Star Wars was the most effective weapon never built.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:12 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
I generally agree. However, I'm still very convinced (and this may, in fact, be my quirkiest political belief) that Reagan's military policies brought down the Soviet Union. Star Wars was the most effective weapon never built.
I agree. Reagan unapologetically telling Gorbachev that the US would defend itself against the Soviet Union is what I believe won the cold war. Gorbachev felt that it wasn't a bluff.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:06 AM   #5
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
But I think his point was that Reagan had no military experience or bona fides and yet Tex would still enthusiastically point out how great he thought Reagan was in foreign affairs.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:12 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
But I think his point was that Reagan had no military experience or bona fides and yet Tex would still enthusiastically point out how great he thought Reagan was in foreign affairs.
You don't think ending the Cold War is good foreign affair?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:17 AM   #7
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
You don't think ending the Cold War is good foreign affair?
We are talking about foreign affairs experience prior to being elected. I don't think Reagan could have claimed ending the Cold War as experience prior to his election. What am I missing?
Old 04-03-2008, 03:20 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
We are talking about foreign affairs experience prior to being elected. I don't think Reagan could have claimed ending the Cold War as experience prior to his election. What am I missing?
Then I misread your post above, as I thought you posted that Tex thought Reagan was great in foreign affairs, rather than any experience before he took office.

I agree with you that Reagan didn't have any experience in it before he took office.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:21 AM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
But Reagan had been governor of California and Obama has no experience whatsoever. Reagan had the ear of the military, but Obama is considered the enemy of the military. That aspect is significant.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:21 AM   #10
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Then I misread your post above, as I thought you posted that Tex thought Reagan was great in foreign affairs, rather than any experience before he took office.

I agree with you that Reagan didn't have any experience in it before he took office.
No. My point with Tex was that Tex wouldn't have ever mentioned with Reagan his total lack of foreign affairs experience prior to assuming the presidency, and yet today would tell you Reagan was one of the greatest foreign affairs presidents we have had. Me thinks Tex focuses on "experience" as a critical issue only when it suits him.