cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2008, 02:06 AM   #21
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
So McCain will go after Obama because of Obama's minister's statements?

McCain has his own problems with minister supporters.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...=related_story

You are reading into this what you want to see.
McCain won't say anything because he won't need to.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:08 AM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Wait, you got on me about going after Obama for what Wright bellows from the pulpit by saying that it's wrong to do so just because others did it to Romney.

Now you're doing it.

Obama's pastor is a bigot. How can his hate be misinterpreted?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:09 AM   #23
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
That's about the worst analogy I've ever seen. Delbert Stapley? What are we talking about here? 60s-70s Mormon views on race?

That's weak koolaid Sooner.
Was Mitt Romney an official representative of the faith (missionary) while Delbert Stapley was in power?

We all know that Mitt didn't agree with Stapley, but he still listened to racist conference talks, and he didn't leave the Church over it. I think my analogy is OK.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:10 AM   #24
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Wait, you got on me about going after Obama for what Wright bellows from the pulpit by saying that it's wrong to do so just because others did it to Romney.

Now you're doing it.

Obama's pastor is a bigot. How can his hate be misinterpreted?
I'm not doing it at all. Feel free to point out any place where I have criticized McCain for views held by his supporters.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:12 AM   #25
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Was Mitt Romney an official representative of the faith (missionary) while Delbert Stapley was in power?

We all know that Mitt didn't agree with Stapley, but he still listened to racist conference talks, and he didn't leave the Church over it. I think my analogy is OK.
This is once again why attacking someone for a view held by a leader of a church is nonsensical. Get back to me when the candidate indicates he/she supports such a view. Then I will be concerned.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:13 AM   #26
myboynoah

Quote:

That's weak koolaid as well, Cali. That isn't even McCain's pastor. You're inability to see the difference puzzles me.

Here's the deal Cali and Sooner. American's don't like being told that 9-11 was the "chickens come home to roost" or to have anyone say "God damn America." That may fly in some "blame America first" blue states, but the polls aren't being friendly to your messiah. Rasmussen has McCain up on Obama in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida.

Maybe Hillary is more electable.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:14 AM   #27
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
It's possible. Eyebrows were raised even a year ago when it became clear they were choosing between two of the least electable candidates in America. We all know where Hillary sits, and as much as I personally like Mr. Obama, there's no getting around the fact that he's a biracial African-American man with a Muslim middle name, an incredibly liberal voting record, and several skeletons in his closet. If McCain keeps his act together, he could actually pull off what would be regarded as a huge upset for the Republicans. It would certainly help McCain for the war to stay out of the headlines and for the economy to slow its widely perceived tanking, though.
I agree that it would be good for McCain if Iraq and the economy were not front page.

If the Democrat party implodes, I will laugh.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:16 AM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I'm not doing it at all. Feel free to point out any place where I have criticized McCain for views held by his supporters.
Ok, you're not criticizing McCain himself, but you are playing the "his pastor is a dickhead too" game.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:19 AM   #29
myboynoah

Quote:
This is once again why attacking someone for a view held by a leader of a church is nonsensical. Get back to me when the candidate indicates he/she supports such a view. Then I will be concerned.
Whether or not he agrees is irrelevant at this point. His continued association with Mr. Wright as well as appointing him to a position in his campaign raises big questions Obama's judgement.

A better vetting process might have been in order.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:21 AM   #30
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
That's weak koolaid as well, Cali. That isn't even McCain's pastor. You're inability to see the difference puzzles me.

Here's the deal Cali and Sooner. American's don't like being told that 9-11 was the "chickens come home to roost" or to have anyone say "God damn America." That may fly in some "blame America first" blue states, but the polls aren't being friendly to your messiah. Rasmussen has McCain up on Obama in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida.

Maybe Hillary is more electable.
It is "weak" because it doesn't support your ridiculously narrow view of the topic.

Does it matter that McCain spoke at Liberty University, a university run by Jerry Falwell (need I remind you what he has said?) or that he noted he would accept an invitation to speak at Bob Jones University if invited? It seems worse to me that McCain would do that, knowing what those universities stand for (he articulated what they stand for in 2000- racism and intolerance) than it is that Obama attended a church with no proof that he realized the depth of intolerance of his pastor.