cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2008, 12:40 AM   #41
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
71, listen, I already said that I was using "you" generically, not speaking of YOU specifically. Obviously, I have found a button to push that works quickly, which is good to note for future conversations.

Once illegals start breaking laws, then I agree, deportation should be considered. I dont agree that it should be automatic. Case by case and nature of crime should be considered. Jaywalking? Littering? Probably not. Drug trafficking, murder, robbery, assault? Sure.

Since I have stirred you up a little, I am just going to lay it all out on the table right now for you.....I also believe that stuff spoken over the pulpit at General Conference is commandment, especially all worthy young males should serve a mission. Take that, sucker.
Fair enough. I am a racist generically speaking and your a mullah generically speaking.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:43 AM   #42
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Sounds like your argument is with the church, not me.

Hey- acting like Tex IS easy!

No, my argument is really with this kind of BS:

Quote:
Triplet Daddy answered your question perfectly. Republicans lose sight of the ball when they start throwing around the word "amnesty" as if it means "devil-worship." There are millions of great people here who came illegally, and there are millions more who would like to come and would use legal channels if they were available. But Republicans, by and large, are using scare tactics and hate-mongering to fight the immigration battle, which does nothing to help those already here or those who would be great contributors legally if we could devise a better system.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:45 AM   #43
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
My daughters are only 3, so you are a little closer to the issue than I am right now.

But, candidly, as an owner of a "unit," I am opposed to any legislation that involves de-unitfication. That is a slippery slope I dont want to go down...
Trust me - when your daughters turn into teenagers and boys start noticing them, you'll be all for de-unitfication.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:12 AM   #44
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Fair enough. I am a racist generically speaking and your a mullah generically speaking.
You can forget about being called to the High Council in the Cougarguard Stake.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:02 AM   #45
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Giving amnesty didn't work the last time it happened. And you do know who it was that pushed for it, right? An evil Republican.
It didn't work because his idea was to grant amnesty without securing the border first (not a very good idea).

My point isn't that we should grant amnesty. It is that Republicans are so darned afraid of amnesty, that any immigration bill, whether or not it actually grants amnesty, is derided as granting amnesty and nothing positive is accomplished.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:21 AM   #46
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It didn't work because his idea was to grant amnesty without securing the border first (not a very good idea).

My point isn't that we should grant amnesty. It is that Republicans are so darned afraid of amnesty, that any immigration bill, whether or not it actually grants amnesty, is derided as granting amnesty and nothing positive is accomplished.
I think you'd find that if Republicans actually felt like border security was being taken seriously, they'd be a lot more open to reasonable ideas about what to do with those already here.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:25 AM   #47
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I think you'd find that if Republicans actually felt like border security was being taken seriously, they'd be a lot more open to reasonable ideas about what to do with those already here.
Riiiiiiight...
Old 01-28-2008, 03:36 AM   #48
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Riiiiiiight...
Tex actually makes a very good point.

Would Democrats support the military if it was patrolling the border and used deadly force if fired upon?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:55 AM   #49
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Tex actually makes a very good point.

Would Democrats support the military if it was patrolling the border and used deadly force if fired upon?
I can't even pretend to speak for what Democrats would support in that situation.

You highlight the difficulty of using the military on the border, though. They are trained to kill people, and that is certainly not the most ideal situation for immigrants trying to enter the country.

Many have suggested they be used in a recon only manner, with the border patrol actually having the direct contact with the illegals. I think it could be workable. The border certainly needs to be secure, IMO. My issue with Republicans is what happens to those in the country already and what happens to those wanting to enter on a going-forward basis.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:06 AM   #50
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I can't even pretend to speak for what Democrats would support in that situation.

You highlight the difficulty of using the military on the border, though. They are trained to kill people, and that is certainly not the most ideal situation for immigrants trying to enter the country.

Many have suggested they be used in a recon only manner, with the border patrol actually having the direct contact with the illegals. I think it could be workable. The border certainly needs to be secure, IMO. My issue with Republicans is what happens to those in the country already and what happens to those wanting to enter on a going-forward basis.
As long as those who want to enter do so through the proper legal channels, I'm all for it. As for those who are already here, the first thing I'd like to see done is round up the criminals and send them back. Then we can start to deal with those who are honest - perhaps a case by case situation.

You are correct that the military is trained to kill, but I prefer to look at it as they are trained to defend this country. Perhaps if the military is on the border, it would discourage the criminal element from entering and a recon manner is certainly a good idea.