cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #41
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
To summarize: Tex continues to find articles by papers full of speculation on what the DNC will do, but without actual quotes from anyone at the DNC suggesting that Florida delegates MAY be seated PRIOR to a nominee emerging. Tex also continues to find it shocking and newsworthy that Florida is unhappy with the fact that they have no delegates and wants to appeal the decision.

WOW- that is some great research you have done there.

It will be newsworthy if Florida DOESN'T care that they lost their delegates. Otherwise, your posts are basically like a link to an article telling me that Democrats are still unhappy with the results of Bush v. Gore- obvious and useless.
I told you it was a rumor. So there you have it.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #42
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I told you it was a rumor. So there you have it.
In other news, it is rumored that Tex is a big Hillary supporter.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...0&postcount=42

There you have it.

As usual, your posts have taken the topic down a useless, meandering path with no valuable conclusion.

Well done.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #43
Tex

Quote:
In other news, it is rumored that Tex is a big Hillary supporter.

There you have it.

As usual, your posts have taken the topic down a useless, meandering path with no valuable conclusion.

Well done.
I really don't understand your pugilism on this.

I make a perfectly legitimate statement. You challenge it. I provide proof of my statement, and you devolve to a bizarre combo of attacking me, attacking the source, and claiming I'm stating the obvious. Odd.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #44
Cali Coug

Quote:
I really don't understand your pugilism on this.

I make a perfectly legitimate statement. You challenge it. I provide proof of my statement, and you devolve to a bizarre combo of attacking me, attacking the source, and claiming I'm stating the obvious. Odd.
When you posted that there were rumors of the DNC admitting Florida and counting their delegates, I assumed you meant some rumor of possible substance, not the wandering thoughts of journalists from around the country who had no actual basis in fact for their wandering thoughts. What's more, this debate isn't even about whether there are "rumors." That is what you are trying to make it, because you have no recourse at this point. The actual question we have been discussing is whether the DNC is likely to admit Florida PRIOR to the point at which the nominee is decided (because that would make Florida important).

Your "proof" that you have provided is as helpful as the "proof" that I provided that there are rumors that Tex is a big Hillary supporter. Whoopdy-doo.

I am not "attacking the sources" you have provided. They have expressed an opinion, and I have expressed mine. What I have attacked is your nonsensical referral to those sources as some sort of legitimizing factor in this debate. You have yet again confused a statement of opinion as a statement of fact.

Whether or not 1 journalist or 10,000,000 journalists express an opinion on a topic, it doesn't make their opinion any more or less true (to say otherwise is a fallacy, and one you commonly fall into). And whether that journalist does, in fact, write for the largest paper in the largest city of Florida's northern neighbor isn't at all relevant either (you are falling into yet another one of your favorite logical fallacies there). Did they report something factual, or did they report their opinion? Pretty clearly, it was the latter.

At least, from experience, I know not to expect much from you in these conversations. Now I have no reason to be disappointed when you yet again produce nothing but crap.

And "pugilism?" That is an odd application of the word. Did you get a new word calendar for Christmas?

Last edited by Cali Coug; 01-24-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:36 PM   #45
Tex

Quote:
When you posted that there were rumors of the DNC admitting Florida and counting their delegates, I assumed you meant some rumor of possible substance, not the wandering thoughts of journalists from around the country who had no actual basis in fact for their wandering thoughts.
Did they report something factual, or did they report their opinion? Pretty clearly, it was the latter.
The people hypothesizing in that particular article were a political science professor from the University of North Florida, a USA Today article, and the Baker Democratic Party Chair. The referenced USA Today article cites anonymously "most Florida Democratic officials"; as examples: elected Congressional Democrats Meek and Wexler.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...-florida_N.htm

Seems "pretty clear" that they were reporting what key Florida Democrats are telling them, rather than their opinion. Since I doubt you read the articles, you probably didn't realize that.

Quote:
I am not "attacking the sources" you have provided.
Heh. You sure did.

Quote:
What I have attacked is your nonsensical referral to those sources as some sort of legitimizing factor in this debate. You have yet again confused a statement of opinion as a statement of fact.
It's a fact that there are rumors.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-25-2008, 12:17 AM   #46
Cali Coug

Quote:
The people hypothesizing in that particular article were a political science professor from the University of North Florida, a USA Today article, and the Baker Democratic Party Chair. The referenced USA Today article cites anonymously "most Florida Democratic officials"; as examples: elected Congressional Democrats Meek and Wexler.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...-florida_N.htm

Seems "pretty clear" that they were reporting what key Florida Democrats are telling them, rather than their opinion. Since I doubt you read the articles, you probably didn't realize that.

Heh. You sure did.

It's a fact that there are rumors.
I am beginning to question your reading comprehension and analytical skills- well, continuing to question is probably more accurate.

What power do Florida delegates have to get themselves seated at the convention? None. What power does the Baker Democratic Party Chair have to get them seated? None. What power do most Democratic Florida officials have to get them seated? None. Do any of those people say that they will be seated or that they have heard they will be seated? Clearly, no. Rather, they ask aloud how it can be that they won't be seated. Clearly, they are "hypothesizing," as you put it (i.e., stating their opinion). So what?

It is cute that you continue to try to make our disagreement about whether or not there is a rumor. Cute, but a bit predictable. When you have nothing else to stand on...

Tex still supports Hillary for president.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:29 AM   #47
Tex

Quote:
What power do Florida delegates have to get themselves seated at the convention? None. What power does the Baker Democratic Party Chair have to get them seated? None. What power do most Democratic Florida officials have to get them seated? None. Do any of those people say that they will be seated or that they have heard they will be seated? Clearly, no. Rather, they ask aloud how it can be that they won't be seated. Clearly, they are "hypothesizing," as you put it (i.e., stating their opinion). So what?
That's the point. There's really no argument here.

Thus I ask: why so pugilistic?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 01-25-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:03 AM   #48
Cali Coug

Quote:
That's the point. There's really no argument here.

Thus I ask: why so pugilistic?
Old 01-25-2008, 06:01 AM   #49
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
The more I'm reminded of why I hate the Clintons the more I want him to win the nomination. At core he seems like a good human being. I'm not certain the same can be said of Hillary.
I'm certain the same cannot be said of Hillary.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #50
Tex

In last night's debate, Tim Russert quoted McCain to McCain, "I'm going to be honest: I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated."

McCain's first response: "I don't know where you got that quote." Russert didn't offer the source but it was later shown to be in the WSJ in 2005. Doubtless had he said that, McCain would've responded, "Where do you find these obscure papers? And why do I care about some reporters opinion? Huh?"

Maybe Cali Coug is actually McCain.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young