cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 03:26 AM   #31
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Yikes speaking of bigotry... The indication from the polls and today's results is that America wouldn't mind that at all. By America did you mean you personally?
Of course I don't mean me personally.

Recent history tells us that the Iowa primary is not a very good indicator of how America will vote. In fact, Hillary's third place finish bodes well for her.

Does bigotry exist in America? In today's climate is it odd to suggest Americans might not be that willing to choose a president with a Middle Eastern name?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:27 AM   #32
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Perhaps you've overestimated Obama.

No executive experience - either political or business.
No foreign policy experience.
No economic sense.

What qualifies him for the White House?
See a dozen other threads on this topic alone.

By the way, did anyone else see Huckabee disrespect Romney tonight? Huck took the stage for his speech at the exact moment Romney came to the podium, ensuring no press coverage for Romney's speech. Traditionally, the winner waits for the closest contenders to speak before claiming victory. It was bad form for Huckabee, I thought, but nobody has mentioned anything about it on the tv.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:32 AM   #33
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Of course I don't mean me personally.

Recent history tells us that the Iowa primary is not a very good indicator of how America will vote. In fact, Hillary's third place finish bodes well for her.

Does bigotry exist in America? In today's climate is it odd to suggest Americans might not be that willing to choose a president with a Middle Eastern name?
While winning in Iowa doesn't mean much, Obama's prospects are good in the next few races as well. Huckabee's, not so much. I would love to see him win the nomination, since he would most certainly lose in the general, or in the off chance that he did win, would cause such a backlash against fundamentalism and republicans that both would decrease significantly in influence. I just don't he has a chance, though. It looks like Giuliani might be the nominee at this point.

Does anyone know if it's normal for the national front-runner to do 3% in any state? It makes sense that he would do poorly; I just wonder if there's a precedent for someone winning after doing so poorly in Iowa.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:37 AM   #34
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post

By the way, did anyone else see Huckabee disrespect Romney tonight? Huck took the stage for his speech at the exact moment Romney came to the podium, ensuring no press coverage for Romney's speech. Traditionally, the winner waits for the closest contenders to speak before claiming victory. It was bad form for Huckabee, I thought, but nobody has mentioned anything about it on the tv.
Ok, I'll rephrase the question:

What will convince me that he is qualified for the White House?

I didn't watch any of what was going on in Iowa tonight - too busy watching SpongeBob with my 5 year old - so I can't comment on what Huckabee did.

FWIW - I'm a Duncan Hunter guy.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:39 AM   #35
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Ok, I'll rephrase the question:

What will convince me that he is qualified for the White House?

I didn't watch any of what was going on in Iowa tonight - too busy watching SpongeBob with my 5 year old - so I can't comment on what Huckabee did.

FWIW - I'm a Duncan Hunter guy.
What will convince you? Probably nothing, unless you are honestly open to being convinced.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:34 AM   #36
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

As far as I know, Romney did the first interview on TV with Fox less than an hour after Huckabee was declared the winner.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:45 AM   #37
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
As far as I know, Romney did the first interview on TV with Fox less than an hour after Huckabee was declared the winner.
Romney was on stage on CNN when they cut away to show Huck's speech. It struck me as very poor form on Huck's part.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:12 AM   #38
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Romney was on stage on CNN when they cut away to show Huck's speech. It struck me as very poor form on Huck's part.
Perhaps. I don't think Huckabee is all that shrewd a campaigner, his Iowan evangelical appeal notwithstanding.

Romney needs to beat McCain in New Hampshire. If he comes in 2nd, he can still continue to limp through the process, but he won't be lighting anyone's fire.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:17 AM   #39
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That was pure Ed Rollins. Fox nailed Ed on things he said about going dirty in South Carolina; this after Huckabee's "good boy" Iowa approach. Huckabee has made a deal with the devil, who, as we all know, is Jesus' brother.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:18 AM   #40
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Perhaps. I don't think Huckabee is all that shrewd a campaigner, his Iowan evangelical appeal notwithstanding.

Romney needs to beat McCain in New Hampshire. If he comes in 2nd, he can still continue to limp through the process, but he won't be lighting anyone's fire.
His campaign manager, Rollins, sure is.