cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road
Default Hand Over Heart

So, I guess Barack didn't put his hand over his heart during the national anthem.

http://www.slate.com/id/2177887/?GT1=10636

I never do. It seems fascist. Is this really a big deal to people? I'll stand; I'll take my hat off; but the hand-salute stuff for civilians creeps me out.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Sieg heart! Sieg heart!
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
So, I guess Barack didn't put his hand over his heart during the national anthem.

http://www.slate.com/id/2177887/?GT1=10636

I never do. It seems fascist. Is this really a big deal to people? I'll stand; I'll take my hat off; but the hand-salute stuff for civilians creeps me out.
What the hades. I am OK with you not doing it, but "it seems fascist"??? Are we moving to that point where not only do people not get ciriticized for not following traditions, but now we move onto using those kind of terms for those that do.

What's next. "What's with people who never burn our American Flag. It's seems like something only right wing skinheads wouldn't do."
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
What the hades. I am OK with you not doing it, but "it seems fascist"??? Are we moving to that point where not only do people not get ciriticized for following traditions, but now we move onto using those kind of terms for those that do.

What's next. "What's with people who never burn our American Flag. It's seems like something only right wing skinheadswouldn't do."
I have no problem with others doing it. I just don't like to because it seems to imitate the hand salutes of twentieth-century super-nationalistic fascists.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Put your hand on your heart and say it, say it, say it again.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think it should be a law, but I truly doubt that you can't distinguish the purpose, sentiment and intention of placing your hand over your heart during the national anthem or pledge of allegiance from a sieg heil or a sieg mussolini or whichever fascist salute you're thinking of. Don't misunderstand, you're entitled to your opinion and I don't criticize you for having it, but I think it is based more in youth than anything else (I say this as someone who, some years ago, also refused to engage in this act for similar reasons; for me, it passed).
Old 11-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

What about continuing to walk to class while the National Anthem is being played over loudspeakers on campus? What about cutting corners through the grass while doing so?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
What about continuing to walk to class while the National Anthem is being played over loudspeakers on campus? What about cutting corners through the grass while doing so?
I attended but one year at BYU and made it a point to not only keep walking but to walk more ostentatiously when they played the anthem. what was my point? Not sure, just felt like doing it. WOuld I do it now? probably not.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I rigged it so that I didn't have any classes that ended at 5PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

I don't mind the national anthem too much (although yes, I kept walking when they played it at BYU), but the pledge of allegiance is extremely creepy to me. Even ignoring the separation of church and state issues, pledging allegiance to anything, let alone a piece of cloth, seems like something members of an enlightened society would want to avoid.

Last edited by woot; 11-16-2007 at 05:02 PM.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote