cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 05:25 PM   #11
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

I hate the government because, by its nature, government uses force to take things from me that are mine. I generally don't mind when the purpose is on I approve of but I approve of so few purposes that I'm generally pissed at the government.
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:31 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I hate the government because, by its nature, government uses force to take things from me that are mine. I generally don't mind when the purpose is on I approve of but I approve of so few purposes that I'm generally pissed at the government.
You are a lawyer. The govt. maintains the entire infrastructure that provides your wealth.

Weaken the govt. and see where you are at.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:35 PM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
that they are among the least likely to join the PTA.

That is, they are among the least likely to pitch in for the common good.
People who don't trust the government should be most willing to pitch in for the common good because if they're being principled they must recognize that it falls on private institutions including churches fill in the gap if the welfare state is reduced. One reason I disagree with you is that people who favor pervasive government intervention are often themselves lacking material means, which may explain the attraction to them of equalizing distribution of wealth, and so they have less personally to offer the common good.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:37 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
People who don't trust the government should be most willing to pitch in for the common good because if they're being principled they must recognize that it falls on private institutions including churches fill in the gap if the welfare state is reduced. One reason I disagree with you is that people who favor pervasive government intervention are often themselves lacking material means, which may explain the attraction to them of equalizing distribution of wealth, and so they have less personally to offer the common good.
Yeah you would think that these private charities would be spilling over with conservatives. They are not.

Certainly religious and conservatives play their part, but in my experience those who are most often involved with charities are not anti-govt. birchers.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:41 PM   #15
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You are a lawyer. The govt. maintains the entire infrastructure that provides your wealth.

Weaken the govt. and see where you are at.
True. The more government engages in social engineering, the fatter the codes grow, the more extensive and entrenched become the bureauacracies, and the greater need for lawyers to find or cut a path through the thickets. Strict products liability, CERCLA, EPA regs, burgeoning work-place regulations, punitive damages, regulation of tobacco manufacturers, trade regulations and barriers, food and drug regulations, Civil Rights acts, consumer and securities class actions, antitrust laws, securities regulations, etc. etc. all represent endless riches for lawyers. Laissez faire would be disastrous to our profession.

—Paul Auster
Old 10-31-2007, 05:47 PM   #16
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
True. The more government engages in social engineering, the fatter the codes grow, the more extensive and entrenched become the bureauacracies, and the greater need for lawyers to find or cut a path through the thickets. Strict products liability, CERCLA, EPA regs, burgeoning work-place regulations, punitive damages, regulation of tobacco manufacturers, trade regulations and barriers, food and drug regulations, Civil Rights acts, consumer and securities class actions, antitrust laws, securities regulations, etc. etc. all represent endless riches for lawyers. Laissez faire would be disastrous to our profession.
Thank God for RCRA and CERCLA.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:53 PM   #17
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Thank God for RCRA and CERCLA.
Those statistics re what percentage of response costs went to lawyers and consultants are staggering. Something like 90%, most of it paid for by hapless insurance companies who issued policies when there was no such thing as RCRA or CERCLA. I miss the RCRA and CERCLA golden years.

—Paul Auster
Old 10-31-2007, 05:55 PM   #18
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

I'm a lawyer because it pays a lot of money. If it didn't, I would be something else.

Last edited by K-dog; 11-01-2007 at 11:51 PM.
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:56 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I'm a lawyer because it pays a lot of money. If it didn't, I would be something else.
Who is making money in Somalia? Who is making money in Sicily? Who is making money in Russia?

I think you would do well in those places.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:57 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Oh no, my warning light just went off. Someone who thinks he makes a lot of money, but really doesn't.