cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 07:54 PM   #21
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Maybe that is why I never got to excited about liberals and their way of thinking.
Here you go again finding more common ground. I don't like the Liberal (if by Liberal you mean Democrat) way of thinking either. I'm about as Libertarian as they come.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:55 PM   #22
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
That's our common ground. Iran is looking out for #1 and so are we. It doesn't change the fact that Iran most likely wouldn't be a problem if the region wouldn't have been destabilized.
I believe Iran has been a problem long before the region was "destabilized" (as though what was there previously could be called stable).

As to the common ground: there is the minor detail of Iran being totalitarianistic oppressors and human rights violaters, but ahhh .... who cares about that. It's all sixes.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:55 PM   #23
BlueHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Of course there's a double standard. America holds huge moral high ground over every other country out there.
You forgot the "tic".
Old 07-31-2007, 07:57 PM   #24
Tex

Quote:
You forgot the "tic".
No, I didn't. America is the greatest country on earth and in history, certainly superior in every way to Iran.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-31-2007, 07:57 PM   #25
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Here you go again finding more common ground. I don't like the Liberal (if by Liberal you mean Democrat) way of thinking either. I'm about as Libertarian as they come.
Maybe I have to read up on libertarians. What do they believe in. Sitting on the sidelines doing nothing and hope everything turns out OK.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:04 PM   #26
BlueHair

Quote:
I believe Iran has been a problem long before the region was "destabilized" (as though what was there previously could be called stable).

As to the common ground: there is the minor detail of Iran being totalitarianistic oppressors and human rights violaters, but ahhh .... who cares about that. It's all sixes.
How is it our problem that Iran's government oppresses? I'm not a Constitution Scholar, but I don't remember any part that says it's the mission of the US government to ensure rights for citizens of other countries. The Bill of Rights as I understand it only applies inside the United States. Our ancestors had to fight the Revolutionary War to get rights, I suggest Iranians do the same if they want more rights.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:25 PM   #27
BlueHair

Quote:
Maybe I have to read up on libertarians. What do they believe in. Sitting on the sidelines doing nothing and hope everything turns out OK.
Something like that. I believe government should provide very minimal services in the United States and none outside the US. The government should be barely noticeable. The federal government should yield to state and local governments in most cases.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:31 PM   #28
BlueHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
So Kuwait didn't deserve to be liberated from Iraq?
No. Does Iraq deserve to be liberated from us? Why is it acceptable for the United States to overthrow a government, but it wasn't acceptable for Iraq to overthrow Kuwait? We have become way too involved in other countries disputes.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:32 PM   #29
Tex

Quote:
They also enjoy making protest votes for candidates that will never ensure them a governing majority.

Quote:
How is it our problem that Iran's government oppresses? I'm not a Constitution Scholar, but I don't remember any part that says it's the mission of the US government to ensure rights for citizens of other countries. The Bill of Rights as I understand it only applies inside the United States. Our ancestors had to fight the Revolutionary War to get rights, I suggest Iranians do the same if they want more rights.
Don't be silly.

The basic interest in human suffering aside, history has shown that oppressive regimes rarely oppress only their own people. It's fallacious to assume that we don't bother them, they won't bother us.

To preempt a potential response let me add: there is no uniform solution to dealing with such states. Certainly military force should be exercised judiciously and carefully. But the problem cannot be ignored.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-31-2007, 08:48 PM   #30
BlueHair

Quote:
They also enjoy making protest votes for candidates that will never ensure them a governing majority.

Don't be silly.

The basic interest in human suffering aside, history has shown that oppressive regimes rarely oppress only their own people. It's fallacious to assume that we don't bother them, they won't bother us.

To preempt a potential response let me add: there is no uniform solution to dealing with such states. Certainly military force should be exercised judiciously and carefully. But the problem cannot be ignored.
Iran is no threat to us. They have no capability of crossing the ocean to attack us. If they were so bold as to launch a nuclear attack, they would be wiped off the map. Honestly, there are very few countries that could cause us any real harm. The idea that we have to fight them over there so we don't have to fight them here makes no sense.