cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #101
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
So, given your indignation as a woman, can I count on you as a $1,000 or $2,000 donor to the McCain-PALIN campaign?

Sadly for you and yours, this will probably become the talk of the day and few will hear or even care about the Bush Doctrine, let alone Obama's views on national service.
My indignation as a woman is that a female this underinformed and underaccomplished was promoted over her counterparts with better resumes.

good god I'm turning into a feminist.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #102
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
OMG, me too!!!! This is great. When and where's the next meeting?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #103
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
My point is that "Bush Doctrine" is a term that was always arcane, more pejorative than objectively descriptive, and hasn't been used much for years. Today no one would credit Bush with something coherent as the term doctrine implies.

If Gibson had been interviewing any other candidate he would have added a clause to his question explaining what the Bush Doctrine is (it's not rocket science), for the viewers, most of whom probably don't know what it is. But he was in a mode of wanting to embarrass her for whatever reason, like Noah and Barbara have noted.
Exactly, he would have explained what he meant by the Bush doctrine. I listen to a lot of political shows and read politics on CB and here. The Bush doctrine??

I didn't see the interview, did he ask the question in the context of asking other foreign policy questions show she at least knew it would concern foreign policy.

I did see the question and answer. I thought she danced around it very well.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #104
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No. You're turning into an Obamapologist.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:01 PM   #105
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Can we move this discussion over to the swimmingly thread? Waters, can you lock this one? Thanks in advance.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #106
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
No. You're turning into an Obamapologist.
heck, no. I've been one of them for ages. Now I'm turning into a feminist, too.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #107
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
My point is that "Bush Doctrine" is a term that was always arcane, more pejorative than objectively descriptive, and hasn't been used much for years. Today no one would credit Bush with something coherent as the term doctrine implies.

If Gibson had been interviewing any other candidate he would have added a clause to his question explaining what the Bush Doctrine is (it's not rocket science), for the viewers, most of whom probably don't know what it is. But he was in a mode of wanting to embarrass her for whatever reason, like Noah and Barbara have noted.
I agree with the second paragraph. But there is a Bush doctrine, its still our policy and it will be in the history books for as long as people study our foreign policy. Its really not as obscure as you are suggesting. But I do agree that this was a little bit of "gotcha." On the other hand, she the governor of a small state and I think people have a right to know what she knows about areas that the experience she has would not have taught her much about.

I could be wrong, but my guess is we won't see another nervous moment like that one. My guess is she will know this stuff cold next time.

Last edited by UtahDan; 09-12-2008 at 05:44 PM.
UtahDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #108
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
heck, no. I've been one of them for ages. Now I'm turning into a feminist, too.
After the way you and the Obama campaign treated our beloved Hillary, you've forever lost any claim to feminism. You talk about wanting to help women, people like me and UtahDan actually vote for women. You're about words, we're about action.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote