cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #81
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
Just listen to what Michelle Obama has said as well. The fingerprints would give a forensic investigator all they needed to convict a suspect.
Convict a suspect? Your "criminal" rhetoric is nauseating.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #82
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteRider View Post
We are a part of a church that encourages us to know our past. We march the trails that our ancestors marched to come out West. We visit Haun's Mill and Carthage with bowed heads and tear-filled eyes. We are moved by those stories and they are a part of our identity. Utah, where many of us call home, was the genius of our American Moses. Our culture and identity spring out of persecution and flight. In our private meetings, and for generations of temple attenders, these stories are/were told over and over again, becoming a deep part of who we are.

As Mormons we have some parts of our own history through which we can (if we dare) begin to appreciate the sensitivities of the black community. As a young child I recall a news story about a very old woman. She had been born into slavery. She was alive when I was alive. In my lifetime slavery was part of the living memory of some. When black families follow the prophet's advice, and explore their genealogy, they journey past trees covered in Strange Fruit and burning crosses. The black genealogist becomes a witness to government sanctioned terrorism, human experimentation (eugenics and exposure to disease) and subjugation.

How can black men and women honor and respect the memory of their ancestors without being angry?

For eighty years following the murder of Joseph, our ancestors swore blood oaths against the American government. Our ancestors moved to Utah when it wasn't even a U.S. territory. The trends of modern Mormon conservativeness, our lack of trust in the government, grow out of this history. Now take the Mormons' persecution and suffering and multiply that by thousands of lynchings and generations of public humiliation and a government that, in Reverend Wright's lifetime, sanctioned official segregation and discrimination.

In the Holy Temple, my great grandfather swore to avenge the murder of Joseph Smith. He swore to pray unceasingly to avenge the blood of the prophets upon this nation, and to teach that vengeance to his children and grandchildren. This is the history of our ancestors. I can understand it and sympathize with it. I am also glad that this hateful anti-America message was removed from our ceremonies. Thankfully I was born and raised in a day when the government's ire was not directed at my people. If not, and if I were running for public office, I might find myself in the same position as Obama today, or Senator Reed Smoot from our own history, forced to reject, denounce and deny my church's teachings.

One last note about the history of political activism in black churches. The tradition comes from the times of slavery, when slaves adopted their masters' religion and discovered that church was one of the few places they could speak openly about their situation. At church they would learn to sing together, and these hymns became the music that helped them endure their hardships. The lyrics were full of coded language, and they became a way for slaves to speak freely in front of their captors. Reverend Wright is part of a long important tradition of black activism in black churches. He is more American than apple pie. His anger is righteous, and his criticism is worth our consideration. We can't go about just ignoring major voices in our various American sub-cultures, or we risk shunning a potential Abinidai or Samuel.

I'm personally saddened that Obama felt that it was politically expedient to denounce his preacher.
Here's some more coded language for you.

I wonder what prospective Presidential candidate is sitting there in that video, waiting to regale us with what a loving come-unto-Jesus guy pastor Manning is.

Cutting him off would be like cutting off my grandmother.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #83
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

When all else fails blame Fox news.

Maybe someone should tell Obama that Fox is just full of "typical white people."

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #84
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Was Mitt Romney an official representative of the faith (missionary) while Delbert Stapley was in power?

We all know that Mitt didn't agree with Stapley, but he still listened to racist conference talks, and he didn't leave the Church over it. I think my analogy is OK.
Wow...you're way off on this. And normally, I respect your opinion.

Mitt didn't hire Stapley on as a political advisor. Stapley was not his chief spiritual advisor. This happened 30 years ago.

The differences are ENORMOUS.

By the way, I do think Mitt was responsible to answer for the church's positions on issues. However, I think Barrack has even more to answer for, and almost seems annoyed that anyone's asking him to do it.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote