cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2007, 05:38 AM   #71
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss
Default We can only speculate as to if this was a mistake or not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I would ignore our interpretation of prophesy, and stop trying to force round pegs into square holes. WE made a mistake making the Jewish homeland in Palestine.

Even the "Ugandan" option, actually Kenya would have been better and so would Africa had prospered. Try not to fulfill ambiguous prophecy but try to do what is good and right.
What would the geopolitical situation look like had South America or Guinea had been chosen instead. Would the Islamic developments in Indonesia have spread to the Aussie Mainland? Would there have been wars against Israel anyways? Would South America have become in some nations Islamic as a counter against the great Satan America and tactically as a means for wiping Israel off the face of the earth?

We have no idea whether any of the unchosen options would have produced a better result. They may have created an even worse result? It is easy using retrospective glasses to see the mistakes that were made, but it does not equal conclusive evidence that the decision was not the best.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:50 AM   #72
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I did, because I think Truman fundamentalism is a reach but his Jewish friendship was not. Still I favor the guilt trip approach, kinda ironically jewish, don't you think?

It was a mistake and folly. We reaped nothing but hardship, as well as the Jewish people, who would have flourished in South America. Fighting Latin American despots would have much easier than Islamic terrorists.
You need to read Clark Clifford's memoirs and David McCullough's biography "Truman." Truman's religious beliefs were a huge factor as were Jewish wealth and political power. Your guilt theory gives the world and even the United States too much credit, although I do believe Truman felt this way.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #73
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You need to read Clark Clifford's memoirs and David McCullough's biography "Truman." Truman's religious beliefs were a huge factor as were Jewish wealth and political power. Your guilt theory gives the world and even the United States too much credit, although I do believe Truman felt this way.
I couldn't finish Truman. It was just too damn boring. I read and loved John Adams and 1776, so I was looking forward to another McCullough masterpiece. I just couldn't get through it, dropped it about halfway through.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:40 PM   #74
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
I couldn't finish Truman. It was just too damn boring. I read and loved John Adams and 1776, so I was looking forward to another McCullough masterpiece. I just couldn't get through it, dropped it about halfway through.
That's a shame. It's a fabulous book.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:46 PM   #75
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I would like to second this recommendation on the McCullough biography. It gives a detailed and fascinating account of the decision process that led to the US support of a Jewish state. What is particularly noteworthy is that the State Dept. (which was adamantly against the move) made a series of predictions on what would happen should the US support Israel. The predictions have proven to be 100% accurate. It's also interesting how we could have gone either way on this. Truman had decided against it and some last minute lobbying made him change his mind. And he hurried and made the announcement before anyone could talk him out of it.