cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2008, 05:10 AM   #1
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "TrooperGate" looking ugly for Palin

http://www.adn.com/news/politics/story/510080.html

Evidently, nobody contacted this Walt Monegan character as part of a vetting process for Palin, and he claims to have some damning emails that he won't share with the press because the investigation is ongoing.

Speaking of vetting, Palin's choice to replace the fired Monegan had to resign after 2 weeks because of a sexual harassment complaint.

However, in the larger view of Palin's considerable efforts at conquering corruption in Alaskan politics and how they compare favorably with her own struggle with a relatively minor corruption problem... well, I'm just not sure how well that would sell in the lower 48.

If this thing blows up, the Palin episode would get a whole chapter in future Poli-Sci textbooks.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

It looks like the story is largely insignificant. There's documentation that some in her office were involved in impropriety, but there's no indication that she was cognizant of what was going on.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
It looks like the story is largely insignificant. There's documentation that some in her office were involved in impropriety, but there's no indication that she was cognizant of what was going on.
I agree with your assessment, so far.

If Monegan produces the emails he claims show she directly tried to influence/bully him, the "plausible deniability" defense is weakened substantially, unless she can demonstrate she really didn't have complete control of her own email account.

In any case, the "smell test" score is not impressive, and her approval ratings in Alaska have fallen from 90% to 67%, which is saying something, as Alaskans have a history of political corruption that would insulate her from too much public scrutiny.

The last thing Alaskans want to hear is that their corruption killer also has a corruption problem, especially since she is now on the national stage and doing their Republican dominated state proud.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
The last thing Alaskans want to hear is that their corruption killer also has a corruption problem.
Absolutely. Gotta love the potential irony, though.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems as if the Obamaniacs here are concerned about McCain's choice. If you folks are so sure Obama is going to win, why even worry about Palin?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It seems as if the Obamaniacs here are concerned about McCain's choice.
We're shaking in our Birkenstocks.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
We're shaking in our Birkenstocks.
Just an observation on my part. Ma'ake brings this up and Cali posts his little video that he thought was hilarious.

Neither have anything to do with policies, so why mention it?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

I liked the old days when "Troopergate" meant Arkansas State Trooper rounding up floozies for Bill Clinton.

Bullying emails? Yawn.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Just an observation on my part. Ma'ake brings this up and Cali posts his little video that he thought was hilarious.

Neither have anything to do with policies, so why mention it?
But she wasn't chosen for her policies; she was chosen in part because of her reputation of an outsider cleaner-upper reformer. So if she were, in fact, implicated in corruption (and I personally don't think this counts), it would indeed be relevant.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:32 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
But she wasn't chosen for her policies; she was chosen in part because of her reputation of an outsider cleaner-upper reformer. So if she were, in fact, implicated in corruption (and I personally don't think this counts), it would indeed be relevant.
You make a fair point. She was chosen because she is an outsider and a maverick type. If there is anything that comes of this, it would matter.

Ma'ake should have waited for something come out of this before posting it, IMO. He'd then have a legitimate reason for bringing it up, rather than looking like he is really reaching for anything to make himself feel better about McCain's choice.