cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 04:29 AM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Team doesn't look to hot

duh too hot.

Can you edit subject lines?

Another poor showing at home against San Jose.

Plaisted had a better showing, although there was nobody on SJSU that could defend him. Give me just two hours with the guy and I swear I'll teach him a drop step that will be deadly. Hasn't anybody taught him this? Can he learn? Defenders will play him completely on his right shoulder and he'll still turn that way towards the middle to get his jump hook off. He's so quick and can jump so well that it's still a great move, but just drop that foot down and turn baseline! He doesn't even need a drop step, just turn baseline every now and then.

I take back what I said about Ainge and Broadus starting together. I don't think that's going to work either. They need more production out of the point and wings but that's not the answer.

I still expect them to start playing better and more consistent, but it's not there yet.

I've been down on Tavernari for having more shots than minutes, which pretty much still held true tonight, but I like his potential.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:38 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Who won tonight? Score?

Is Plaisted able to play with either hand? IIRC from seeing him play - only the times BYU played Utah - it seemed to me he couldn't do much with his non-dominant hand (don't remember if he's left or right handed) and didn't/couldn't go to his weaker hand side either when attacking the basket.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:50 AM   #3
jay santos

P.S. Malaman did look good though. Vuk was in street clothes. But Malaman did a much better job as backup post. Let Vuk stay on the bench. Malaman deserves more minutes.

And apparently a bunch of black guys are in town from Atlanta. They were introduced at half time. They will give a presentation on Saturday at Timpview high. But I don't know if it will be a basketball game, a rap concert, or a Las Vegas style revue show. Should be good. Check it out. What a lameass halftime "show".
Old 12-07-2006, 04:52 AM   #4
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Who won tonight? Score?

Is Plaisted able to play with either hand? IIRC from seeing him play - only the times BYU played Utah - it seemed to me he couldn't do much with his non-dominant hand (don't remember if he's left or right handed) and didn't/couldn't go to his weaker hand side either when attacking the basket.
BYU won by about 12 but played poorly.

Plaisted has a nice move to go to the middle with either hand. He doesn't go to his right as good as his left. He had a nice right handed jump hook today. But the real problem is that he won't roll baseline and has a very poor feel of where the defender's guarding him. He'll turn right into the defender if the defender's cheating towards the middle.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Amen to everything, Jay. A team of underachievers so far this year.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:12 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
BYU won by about 12 but played poorly.

Plaisted has a nice move to go to the middle with either hand. He doesn't go to his right as good as his left. He had a nice right handed jump hook today. But the real problem is that he won't roll baseline and has a very poor feel of where the defender's guarding him. He'll turn right into the defender if the defender's cheating towards the middle.
I think he's a very good player who has potential to do some very good things, but it sounds like he needs a coach that knows how to teach him how to play like a big man. Perhaps the BYU could hire Majerus?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote