cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Three wirds....

Patterson owns Mendenhall.

I think Bronco reevaluates and pulls some things up. However, Patterson is doing some things at TCU I did not think possible.

I think he becomes a really, really hot commodity after this year. Perhaps OSU?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I see that you are man enough to crawl back here and take your licks. I had my doubts for a time.

No, to date, Patterson has NOT been a hot commodity. There were rumors that he had accepted or been offered the KSU job (his alma mater), but he denied those, and of course Billy Snyder was hired. It's not clear if KSU ever pursued him. He wasn't pursued for the A&M job. To some degree, perhaps, he lives in the shadow of Dennis Franchione, his former boss at TCU.

Would Patterson take a job at Oregon State? I can't imagine that he would. First off, I'm not sure Oregon State would pay him more. I don't think he would uproot his life over that, to be coach at a Pac-10 backwater.

There must be something that is turning off schools. Something about his reputation, his past. The guy has had a lot of success for a long time, and he's not been nearly the commodity you would think.

Then again, what non-BCS coach has 1) gone on to be hired at a BCS school, and 2) had great success? The only one I can think of is Urban Meyer. Look at Dan Hawkins at Colorado. He has run that program into the ground.

Kelley at Cinncinati, Peterson at BSU. Sumlin at UH. You would think these guys would be near the top of the list for any school that needs a good coach. And Patterson and Whittingham need to be on that list as well.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Patterson owns Mendenhall.

I think Bronco reevaluates and pulls some things up. However, Patterson is doing some things at TCU I did not think possible.

I think he becomes a really, really hot commodity after this year. Perhaps OSU?
The only way BYU starts beating TCU and Utah, make certain Patterson and Whit get hired this offseason.

Mendenhall won't beat TCU again, except in a real down year. Whit will win four out of five against Mendenhall,and Patterson won't lose unless he has clear talent holes.

Too many Skandanavians from Utah. Why has Mendenhall abandoned Texas. Even Crowton recognized you will die if you live by Utah county boys.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Well, I see that you are man enough to crawl back here and take your licks. I had my doubts for a time.

No, to date, Patterson has NOT been a hot commodity. There were rumors that he had accepted or been offered the KSU job (his alma mater), but he denied those, and of course Billy Snyder was hired. It's not clear if KSU ever pursued him. He wasn't pursued for the A&M job. To some degree, perhaps, he lives in the shadow of Dennis Franchione, his former boss at TCU.

Would Patterson take a job at Oregon State? I can't imagine that he would. First off, I'm not sure Oregon State would pay him more. I don't think he would uproot his life over that, to be coach at a Pac-10 backwater.

There must be something that is turning off schools. Something about his reputation, his past. The guy has had a lot of success for a long time, and he's not been nearly the commodity you would think.

Then again, what non-BCS coach has 1) gone on to be hired at a BCS school, and 2) had great success? The only one I can think of is Urban Meyer. Look at Dan Hawkins at Colorado. He has run that program into the ground.

Kelley at Cinncinati, Peterson at BSU. Sumlin at UH. You would think these guys would be near the top of the list for any school that needs a good coach. And Patterson and Whittingham need to be on that list as well.
I think Patterson would be a great fit for Ohio State after Tressel gets dumped, and Whit really needs to go to Texas A&M, or maybe vice versa.

If these guys want references, we three will offer our services.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I think Patterson would be a great fit for Ohio State after Tressel gets dumped, and Whit really needs to go to Texas A&M, or maybe vice versa.

If these guys want references, we three will offer our services.
Tressel isn't going to get fired. And A&M can't fire Sherm even if they wanted to--can't afford the buyout. Moron AD signed him to a 7 year contract.

You look at the top 10 schools on the coaches hot seat:

Louisville
Hawaii
Maryland
UNLV
Colorado
Illinois
Memphis
Texas A&M
Wash. State
Virginia

Which one of those schools would Patterson jump at? A&M? Like I said, A&M is stuck. Colorado? I doubt they want to do the non-BCS coach thing again. And not sure Colorado is a good place to coach at in the first place.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Tressel isn't going to get fired. And A&M can't fire Sherm even if they wanted to--can't afford the buyout. Moron AD signed him to a 7 year contract.

You look at the top 10 schools on the coaches hot seat:

Louisville
Hawaii
Maryland
UNLV
Colorado
Illinois
Memphis
Texas A&M
Wash. State
Virginia

Which one of those schools would Patterson jump at? A&M? Like I said, A&M is stuck. Colorado? I doubt they want to do the non-BCS coach thing again. And not sure Colorado is a good place to coach at in the first place.
Maryland, Illinois or Virginia would be the best places. maybe we can send their resumes for them.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I don't think 2010 is going to be any better.