cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default The stab in the back

The Washington post has done a good job of covering the Prop. 8 campaign. Here is a SL Tribune reprint from the Post that is a fine summary of the motivations and thought processes that led especially Blacks and but also Latinos to support the measure.

http://www.sltrib.com/faith/ci_10925501

There isn't a line in the article that doesn't bespeak the same old enemy of progress. Not a line that does not bespeak retrograde attitudes.

I wonder if the African American woman who cited the Bible to her husband as justification for her vote knows that this was the primary moral authority cited by Confederates as support for their enslavement of her ancestors. I bet not. There's nothing here that a little education won't cure, and I'm thinking gay marriage proponents ought to redouble their efforts to bring the best educational resources possible to LA's downtrodden masses.

That's the irony. The same movement of secularization that grew out of Entlightenment and became entrenched in modern times, that freed the slaves, that brought forth the Civil Rights Act, that killed Jim Crow, that gave Barack Obama a chance as good as you or I have had to be president, that same revolution, is now behind the gays, and was wounded by its primary beneficiaries on November 4. As ML King said, the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice. Gays and their supporters need to keep doing what they've been doing for centuries now, and they can't lose.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
... As ML King said, the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.
Copycat.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Copycat.
i had that same sig six months ago. Barbara is my witness. I'm sure others remember.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

You have to wonder how bizarre this juxtaposition must seem to the rest of the western world.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
i had that same sig six months ago. Barbara is my witness. I'm sure others remember.
I remember you copying someone else's post about ELO Chess rankings.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
It's just funny to see Seattle using the same MLK quote that Obama centered his entire campaign around.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Look, your commetns on this are becoming very annoying. Suck it up and call us stupid. I supported prop 8 and you think I am an idiot for doing so. Fine, say it and then shut up. And, after shutting up, since you are so content in your new approach to life and relifgion and philosophy, why don't you go find some other group to share your happiness with, instead of gracing us with your residual bitterness? Leave me in my ignorance.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder how many people look at the silly debate and shake their heads. To compare the distinction between domestic partnerships and marriage is pretty minuscule. Yet persons are demons for wanting the distinction and person are demons wanting to break the distinction. We are a shallow people to find so much meaning in something so minor.

It is an insult to compare the 1964 Civil Rights movement to this.

Last edited by Archaea; 11-07-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
The Washington post has done a good job of covering the Prop. 8 campaign. Here is a SL Tribune reprint from the Post that is a fine summary of the motivations and thought processes that led especially Blacks and but also Latinos to support the measure.

http://www.sltrib.com/faith/ci_10925501

There isn't a line in the article that doesn't bespeak the same old enemy of progress. Not a line that does not bespeak retrograde attitudes.

I wonder if the African American woman who cited the Bible to her husband as justification for her vote knows that this was the primary moral authority cited by Confederates as support for their enslavement of her ancestors. I bet not. There's nothing here that a little education won't cure, and I'm thinking gay marriage proponents ought to redouble their efforts to bring the best educational resources possible to LA's downtrodden masses.

That's the irony. The same movement of secularization that grew out of Entlightenment and became entrenched in modern times, that freed the slaves, that brought forth the Civil Rights Act, that killed Jim Crow, that gave Barack Obama a chance as good as you or I have had to be president, that same revolution, is now behind the gays, and was wounded by its primary beneficiaries on November 4. As ML King said, the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice. Gays and their supporters need to keep doing what they've been doing for centuries now, and they can't lose.
How many blacks and latinos chose to be black and latino? There is a difference. They probably have also seen the disintegration of the traditional family up close and don't want to add fuel to that fire.

BTW........didn't Florida ban gay marriage as well. With no Church involvement? Where's the outrage and protests there? Because the Church is an easy target and it is true. People hate truth.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Look, your commetns on this are becoming very annoying. Suck it up and call us stupid. I supported prop 8 and you think I am an idiot for doing so. Fine, say it and then shut up. And, after shutting up, since you are so content in your new approach to life and relifgion and philosophy, why don't you go find some other group to share your happiness with, instead of gracing us with your residual bitterness? Leave me in my ignorance.
He feels obligated to help enlighten you. It's a ministry.