cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "President Palin" vs "President Obama"

I'm not a physician. But working at the cancer institutue I've seen too many people I know come in, and eventually not conquer this nasty disease.

McCain does not look well to me. I know, I know... by no means am I trying to make a diagnosis here, as if I really have the ability to so. I'm only going on observation on TV & gut feel.

I'm not trying to sway anyone's vote here - nobody here is undecided, and we're a tiny microcosm, anyway. But I really think we'll look back on this election & realize it was all about Obama vs Palin. None of us know who will win.

Obama is light on experience in some ways, no question. But through his rhetoric - which he writes himself - we're gotten a pretty good insight of his intellectual capacity. The guy is bright. And through this campaign the guy has shown an ability to deal with extended amounts of stress. Who can disagree?

Palin has come out of nowhere, and besides being pretty unknown, I get the sense that she's pretty lightweight... charismatic, charming, fairly bright, but really, lightweight. I think we can all agree her track record under the spotlight is miniscule.

Like I said, I'm not trying to sway anyone here. But if McCain wins I think everyone will look back & say "what were we thinking?" We got Bush through brilliant electionering. Does this process reall work well?

On a lighter side, the contest looks like a nail biter. As does the football season.

Last edited by Ma'ake; 09-04-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
I'm not a physician. But working at the cancer institutue I've seen too many people I know come in, and eventually not conquer this nasty disease.

McCain does not look well to me. I know, I know... by no means am I trying to make a diagnosis here. I'm only going on observation on TV & gut feel.

I'm not trying to sway anyone's vote here - nobody here is undecided, and we're a tiny microcosm, anyway. But I really think we'll look back on this election & realize it was all about Obama vs Palin. None of us know who will win.

Obama is light on experience in some ways, no question. But through his rhetoric - which he writes himself - we're gotten a glimpse of his intellectual capacity. The guy is bright. And through this campaign the guy has shown an ability to deal with extended amounts of stress. Who can disagree?

Palin has come out of nowhere, and besides being pretty unknown, I get the sense that she's pretty lightweight... charismatic, charming, fairly bright, but really, lightweight. I think we can all agree her track record under the spotlight is miniscule.

Like I said, I'm not trying to sway anyone here. But if McCain wins I think everyone will look back & say "what were we thinking?" We got Bush through brilliant electionering. Does this process reall work well?

On a lighter side, the contest looks like a nail biter. As does the football season.
I disagree with your assertion that Obama writes all of his speeches. Wow. What a bald-faced lie.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
Ma'ake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I disagree with your assertion that Obama writes all of his speeches. Wow. What a bald-faced lie.
"All", probably not, has some assistance. Do you think he isn't the principal author? Do you think he didn't write his books?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
"All", probably not, has some assistance. Do you think he isn't the principal author? Do you think he didn't write his books?
Quote:
But Barack Obama is more than a little busy campaigning across Iowa and New Hampshire right now. So it was Favreau who led the team that wrote Obama's victory speech in Des Moines last week—a moment that prompted the TV pundits to drop months of skepticism about Obama's candidacy to make breathless comparisons with the Kennedy era.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/84756

Typical democrat. Stunning naivete.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Actually by far, his most important speech is the on linked above.

Notice the word "linked". That means I have attribution.

Take a hint and try to get some attribution for your dumb assertion.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would far rather have Palin as the President surrounded by people I think she would have the good wisdom to pick as opposed to having Obama as the President arm in arm with Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid running the country.

For you liberals, maybe I could give you a scenario where you could at least understand my fear.

Imagine the republican congress of the nineties with Pat Robertson as the President.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
Ma'ake

Don't mean to start a brush fire & then take off. Gonna be a long, ugly day at work - IT stuff, not cancer (I hope)

L8tr
Old 09-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
http://www.time.com/time/politics/ar...837368,00.html

Here you go. Stupid sources supporting my dumb assertion.
All there is in this article, is evidence that Obama wrote the first draft of two speeches, in four years.

Why does he have to write in the bathroom? What the hell? Are you arrested if you write on the senate floor?
Old 09-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Convention speech, 4 years ago.

Convention speech, this year.

2 speeches in 4 years.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #10
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We got Bush through brilliant electionering. Does this process reall work well?
This is a tangent to your main point, but I keep seeing this posted and I feel a need to make a correction. Bush was a good campaigner, no doubt, but he was also quite popular and won re-election largely on his first term record.

Now that his popularity has sunk, it's vogue for the left to ramp up their "what an idiot" and "worst president in history" lines, but in truth Bush has been a fairly average president. It's not like he snuck into office using smoke and mirrors. We elected him. And *more people voted for him and his policies than the other guy, enough to win 2 elections.

*Yes, Gore got more popular vote in 2000 ... blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
He writes the majority of his major speeches- the speech on race, etc. The ones he is most known for.
Probably one of his worst, most self-serving speeches to date.

The "Palin used a speechwriter" criticism emerging this morning is exceptionally lame. It means Obama has found very little else he can criticize and has been forced to dig down to the bottom of the barrel.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote