cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #31
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavern Knight View Post
Oh, my apologies. I thought you were somebody who could construct a reasoned argument and responded accordingly. I see now that you are not.
SeattleUte = CatBlue on Cougarboard
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #32
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My point is that there have been people here who have claimed anti-Obama-ism has nothing to do with race.

I have proven that it has a lot to do with race.

You ignore my proof and dismiss it out of hand.

You have your head in the sand.
he is about race because he fails to transcend traditional black politics. He is the entitlement man, the man to sock to the Man, the man to make handouts to the poor, the abortion maven.

If he were about conservative economics, a strong military, traditional market reforms in terms of health care, he would transcend race and it would not be about race.

But Obama confirms what white trash fear about black politics, so he will touch that chord more resonantly than a non-traditional black politician.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #33
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavern Knight View Post
Actually, if I read it right, the article says that 8 out of 10 people who indicated race was an important factor, voted for Billary.

One point where I WILL agree with MW, though, is that I wouldn't lend any credence to the # 2 out of 10. I think there were lots of people for whom race was an important factor who didn't admit to it. That's a very unscientific poll. And I will agree with FM that most of those who didn't admit it were probably in the Obama camp, although I don't really know. Perhaps there are more racists than I'd like to believe.
Well it is WV. Not exactly the most enlightened of states. But I guarantee you can go to any major city in America and conduct the same poll ... and my analysis would be spot on. Inner-city blacks will be solidly racist. Major city / suburban whites, not so much so.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #34
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yes, I am saying that if race was a very important factor in your decision, then you are a racist.

BYU71, care to opine?
I consider racist a very serious accusation. I consider a racist on the low totem pole of people I care to be around.

However, my definition of racist may be different than yours. Having been called a racist before because of just an opinion I had, I find the term gets thrown around loosely.

Using your definition for a racist, I have no argument with what you said.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Why do you think they said race was a factor? Because blacks hate whites? Because blacks want a black candidate to win? Because whites hate blacks? Because whites hate that blacks are all voting for Obama because he's black? Because blacks perceive that whites won't vote for a black man so they vote for Obama? Because whites and blacks can't stand to see Hillary's pasty melanin-free ass on TV?

What was the breakdown, Mikey?
Quote:
The West Virginia electorate included 2 in 10 white voters who said race was an important factor in their vote and more than 8 in 10 of them backed Clinton.
How about reading the article yourself?

Sometimes I can't be on the forum, when I am speaking to a reporter about my work.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #36
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How about reading the article yourself?

Sometimes I can't be on the forum, when I am speaking to a reporter about my work.
So actually it was 1.6 out of 10 that were admitted racists. Surely you don't consider the 20% of white voters who voted on race and voted for Obama as racists.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #37
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
If he were about conservative economics, a strong military, traditional market reforms in terms of health care, he would transcend race and it would not be about race.
Even then he would not transcend race. He would just be and "Uncle Tom". It is currently impossible for any black man to transcend race in our country IMHO. Maybe someday. I hope and pray someday.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote