cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default "I will get Osama bin Laden, even if I have to follow him to the gates of hell."

I just heard this from John McCain on the radio. Again. It's a good one-liner. The first time.

Anyone heard McCain explain how he intends to "get" bin Laden in the "gates of hell"?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I just heard this from John McCain on the radio. Again. It's a good one-liner. The first time.

Anyone heard McCain explain how he intends to "get" bin Laden in the "gates of hell"?
Emphasis on improved human intelligence.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Obama is going to bring the troops home and also take care of Al Queda. He thinks his smooth talk express is going to go over good with the terrorists too.

Don't attack us, we are going to give you, free health care, $75 an hour jobs, summers off, build you Mosques on every block, a tax cut if you are middle class Al Queda, and promise 200,000 converts to the Muslim religion a year.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

He won't even go to Wyoming, so why would we expect him to go the gates of hell?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

So I'll take it as a "no" ... no one has heard McCain explain how he plans to do this.

Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss it.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Obama is going to bring the troops home and also take care of Al Queda. He thinks his smooth talk express is going to go over good with the terrorists too.

Don't attack us, we are going to give you, free health care, $75 an hour jobs, summers off, build you Mosques on every block, a tax cut if you are middle class Al Queda, and promise 200,000 converts to the Muslim religion a year.
your sarcasm aside, I have wondered how successful Guantanamo would be if they had turned into a lavish hotel with the decadence of a wealthy life. No expense spared where the "prisoners" could live in luxury for a month or two and than have it all swept away one night where they are stripped naked and thrown into a hole where they get to stay. The issue would be to promise them more of the good life if they would just give up what they know. Longer play, and would be more expensive, but no one could ever say that we were torturing prisoners.

Have them watch every season of bay watch and other day time dramas. In stead of breaking their spirit, try and break their cultural spirit. Switch off the good life with showing them film footage of their terrorist buddies hunkered down in the desert while they enjoy a soft bed, good food, and lots of bikini clad images of a young Pamela Anderson.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Emphasis on improved human intelligence.
Granted, I'm not an insider on this, but I do have some idea how government works. After 9-11, Congress dumped millions of dollars, if not a billion +, on the CIA to improve intelligence in the very region in which Osama has holed up. That's always Congress' solution; throw money at it. Congressmen and Senators can then campaign on fighting terrorism.

My friends at the CIA told me that, under the gun to spend the money (budgeting is on an annual basis and you don't want to send money back), all sorts of interesting projects were funded. More importantly, life got a lot more comfortable (infrastructure upgrades, funding non-required benefits, etc.). In other words, while I'm sure much of the money actually made its way to financing real counter-terror operations, a lot of it didn't. Intelligence budgets are classified and it doesn't take much to snow congressional overseers.

So when McCain talks about enhancing human intelligence, I'd like to see an accounting of the billions we have already spent. He's the foreign policy/intelligence expert. That falls under his oversight.

That's just campaign drivel, and McCain knows it. Similar statements by Romney, Huckabee, and Rudy can be chalked up to wishful ignorance. But McCain, now that's real political garbage.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
So I'll take it as a "no" ... no one has heard McCain explain how he plans to do this.

Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss it.
Improving human intelligence is the answer he gave in one of the debates last weekend.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:22 PM   #9
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Not sure how good of a line it is for a Presidential candidate, who isn't going to do anything but sit in the Oval Office while OTHERS go to the gates of Hell.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

While he's at it, perhaps he can help OJ find Nichole's killer.