cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2007, 02:46 PM   #11
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
Are you really that dense? Maybe he was trying to clarify and refute the misconceptions people have about Mormonism. Geez..don't be such a douche.

When did he say we shouldn't be tolerant to atheists? When did he say they are ruining the nation?

Try not to be such a freaking idiot, will ya? What are you, trying to give Seattle Ute a run for his money?
Why refute misconceptions if the brand doesn't matter at all? People could have any misconception they wanted to and, according to Mitt, it wouldn't matter because it would be just another brand of faith.

He is trying to have his cake and eat it too. He is clearly going after the evangelicals with the speech. As a result, he wants to tell them not to pay attention to his particular brand of faith (or any other faith) because it doesn't matter.

Then he realizes that it DOES matter to many people, so he tries to sell them on his faith.

He is wanting it both ways.

Are you trying to give Ecuaboy a run for his money?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #12
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Wrong. He was highlighting a point of common ground. That was the purpose of saying he believes in Jesus. As for the rest ... "These are not bases for criticism but rather a test of our tolerance. Religious tolerance would be a shallow principle indeed if it were reserved only for faiths with which we agree."

Don't be an idiot, Cali. There's no way Romney's speech could be construed to advocate or condone intolerance of atheists, except by braindead California lawyers who must find SOMETHING wrong with the speech.

What's next? Whining about how Romney hired illegals to work on his yard? Oh, wait.
A point of common ground, which would be that he is a Christian, in a speech directed to other Christians who don't believe Romney to be a Christian, causing them to support someone else, which he says they shouldn't do because all faiths are good- particularly Christianity (which Romney notes he is).

As for your atheists argument, show me a single statement in the entire speech that urges tolerance for non-religious Americans. Instead you will find: freedom requires religion, be tolerant of all religions, those who promote a secular America are wrong and are ruining the country, etc.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:25 PM   #13
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
A point of common ground, which would be that he is a Christian, in a speech directed to other Christians who don't believe Romney to be a Christian, causing them to support someone else, which he says they shouldn't do because all faiths are good- particularly Christianity (which Romney notes he is).
Is there a complete thought/sentence in there?

Quote:
As for your atheists argument, show me a single statement in the entire speech that urges tolerance for non-religious Americans. Instead you will find: freedom requires religion, be tolerant of all religions, those who promote a secular America are wrong and are ruining the country, etc.
I think most normal people read his plea for religious tolerance to be of a general application to ALL people, regardless.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #14
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think most normal people read his plea for religious tolerance to be of a general application to ALL people, regardless.

Several of the non-denominational commentators on CNN INtl. yesterday morning immediately noted the lack of reference to or inclusion of atheiosts and a-religious viewpoints. THey still liked the pseech, but that omission was readily apparent to them.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #15
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Several of the non-denominational commentators on CNN INtl. yesterday morning immediately noted the lack of reference to or inclusion of atheiosts and a-religious viewpoints. THey still liked the pseech, but that omission was readily apparent to them.
Yes I know. Even a few conservative commentators who were otherwise quite receptive to the speech made that notation.

I still think it is reaching. And begging your pardon, but Cali's not exactly known for his balanced approach.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 12-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRoss View Post
Would it be beyond logic to assume that Mitt like many others including me believe that Atheism is a religion and thus included in the protections of what our forefathers wrote?

The link below is a well written article on why Atheism is a religion...

Life and Doctrine at Atheism
Haven't read the blog, and don't intend to. The guy procaims his avocation is apologetics. Great. Someone who admits his avocation is lying. Apologetics is lying.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #17
Cali Coug

Quote:
Yes I know. Even a few conservative commentators who were otherwise quite receptive to the speech made that notation.

I still think it is reaching. And begging your pardon, but Cali's not exactly known for his balanced approach.
Again focusing on the messenger and not the message.

If you agree that conservative commentators made the same point I made, and if you agree that other commentators, like on CNN, made the same point I made, then are you going to say that each of those commentators as well are just "being an idiot?"

And what happened to your position that "There's no way Romney's speech could be construed to advocate or condone intolerance of atheists, except by braindead California lawyers who must find SOMETHING wrong with the speech." Are the conservative commentators also brain-dead California lawyers? That just doesn't make sense!
Old 12-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #18
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Are the . . .commentators also brain-dead California lawyers?
This would exaplin a lot of the commentary we see on TV.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #19
Tex

Quote:
Again focusing on the messenger and not the message.

If you agree that conservative commentators made the same point I made, and if you agree that other commentators, like on CNN, made the same point I made, then are you going to say that each of those commentators as well are just "being an idiot?"
Yes.

Quote:
And what happened to your position that "There's no way Romney's speech could be construed to advocate or condone intolerance of atheists, except by braindead California lawyers who must find SOMETHING wrong with the speech." Are the conservative commentators also brain-dead California lawyers? That just doesn't make sense!
No, that was just a thinly-veiled swipe meant just for you.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 12-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #20
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP

Cali, you are retarded and I throw poo in your general direction.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote