cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2007, 03:25 AM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default "Hi, I'm Mitt Romney, and I'm a Mormon."

"It's wrong to vote based on someone's relgion. If you don't like mine, so be it. By the way, just so you know, I believe in Jesus, and that every courthouse and public library should have a creche out front this time of year."

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:28 AM   #2
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
"It's wrong to vote based on someone's relgion. If you don't like mine, so be it. By the way, just so you know, I believe in Jesus, and that every courthouse and public library should have a creche out front this time of year."
Oh, Seattle. He's not going away, we're not going away ... you are not going away either
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:50 AM   #3
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
"Hi, I'm Seattle Ute, and I'm a jackass."
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I agree with your take on that aspect of his speech. It was hypocritical.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:45 AM   #5
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I agree with your take on that aspect of his speech. It was hypocritical.
It wasn't hypocritical at all. His point was that his particular brand of faith isn't important, but he is a person of faith. Duh.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:46 AM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
It wasn't hypocritical at all. His point was that his particular brand of faith isn't important, but he is a person of faith. Duh.
My particular brand of faith doesn't matter, the one in which I firmly believe Jesus to be the son of God and my savior.

If it doesn't matter, then there is no point in saying he believes in Jesus at all. Duh.

Oh, and let's be tolerant. Except towards the atheists who are ruining the nation.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:21 AM   #7
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
My particular brand of faith doesn't matter, the one in which I firmly believe Jesus to be the son of God and my savior.

If it doesn't matter, then there is no point in saying he believes in Jesus at all. Duh.

Oh, and let's be tolerant. Except towards the atheists who are ruining the nation.
Are you really that dense? Maybe he was trying to clarify and refute the misconceptions people have about Mormonism. Geez..don't be such a douche.

When did he say we shouldn't be tolerant to atheists? When did he say they are ruining the nation?

Try not to be such a freaking idiot, will ya? What are you, trying to give Seattle Ute a run for his money?
Old 12-07-2007, 01:20 PM   #8
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Wrong. He was highlighting a point of common ground. That was the purpose of saying he believes in Jesus. As for the rest ... "These are not bases for criticism but rather a test of our tolerance. Religious tolerance would be a shallow principle indeed if it were reserved only for faiths with which we agree."

Quote:
Don't be an idiot, Cali. There's no way Romney's speech could be construed to advocate or condone intolerance of atheists, except by braindead California lawyers who must find SOMETHING wrong with the speech.

What's next? Whining about how Romney hired illegals to work on his yard? Oh, wait.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
What's next? Whining about how Romney hired illegals to work on his yard? Oh, wait.
LOL!

Romney apparently didn't learn the painful lessons afforded by Sister Beck's talk by not reaching out to all permutations of beliefs and disbeliefs.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss
Default Actually Romney talked about the religion of secularism...

Quote:

Would it be beyond logic to assume that Mitt like many others including me believe that Atheism is a religion and thus included in the protections of what our forefathers wrote?

The link below is a well written article on why Atheism is a religion...

Life and Doctrine at Atheism

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote