cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 05-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #11
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Runner's World has a great Beginners Section, including an 8 week plan to get you going.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smar...-278-0,00.html

A mistake I made when I started running again 4 years ago was I told myself that I was an intermediate runner because I had run before (even though it was 2 years before that). If you haven't run in a while, you are a beginner, and need to train accordingly, or you will promptly burn out and quit.

I totally agree with Archaea. Don't worry about speed at the beginning, it's completely irrelevant unless you have an endurance base. Keep us posted.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #12
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What sound do you hear as your foot plants? If it's a gentle sound, then you're doing it correctly, if it's a thud, you're doing it incorrectly.

There are different theories whether you land midsole or heel but that's too complex for now.

What are your hands doing? Are they open, balled or clenched? You should be able to hold a tissue between your index and thumb but so lightly it would almost fall out.

What is the swing of your arms? Gentle and forward or thrashing? I thrash often. Not good.

What are you doing with your jaw? Loose.

What posture are you using?

Correct form early will benefit you later on.

You cannot just run, you must learn to run in a healthy form.
Before I go on, let me say thanks for the advice. I know running is a great way to get, and stay in shape and I appreciate anything that will help me get better at it. I'm a competitive person, so I don't like sucking at things, and I'd rather progress then get frustrated and quit.

My hands are closed, but not clenched. My arms usually swing controlled, not 'thrashing' but not gentle either. More of a controlled thrash I guess.

My jaw is usually loose. Sometimes as I'm breathing I'll mouth the words to the song on my iPod.

I'd probably say when my foot lands it is more of a thud. I've never been light on my feet by any means, so what should I pay attention to? Landing on my heels and pushing off to my toes more? I've never really 'thought' about running, I've just done it.

As far as posture, I've never paid attention. I'll have to look next time.

Thanks for the recommendations.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Last year when I was starting out, I would set a marker along my run as a point I needed to get to. So I would start out running at a consistent pace to the stop sign. Then my next run, it would be to the golf course, then after that, it was the stop sign after the golf course, and at that point I found I could go about the full 5k at a fairly consistent pace. Good method for increasing my endurance foundation?
This method is okay, but I would tend to use a heart rate monitor, and perhaps a Garmin. That way you can use a consistent effort rather than consistent time.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:06 PM   #14
Archaea

Quote:

I'd probably say when my foot lands it is more of a thud. I've never been light on my feet by any means, so what should I pay attention to? Landing on my heels and pushing off to my toes more? I've never really 'thought' about running, I've just done it.

As far as posture, I've never paid attention. I'll have to look next time.

Thanks for the recommendations.
The whole key to running efficiently is relaxation. It's a reason why stretching is important beforehand. The only part of the body that should work are legs, lungs and heart. Everything else needs to be completely relaxed.

Posture is debated, see Chi Running.

For you, you may wish to consult the running store, but without having seen you run, I'd recommend a midsole land. I'm not naturally light on my feet, but focusing upon it allows me to improve. It's just how you set your foot down. You can "lighten" your land if you concentrate and over time it will improve. This will lessen injuries. I currently have a bone contusion on my heel from speed work, so foot strike is important.

I love fitness so you hit me on something I love, even though in terms of competition, I'm very average and often disappointed with my performances. However, it's taken a lot of work to become average so I've had to go at it very methodically.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #15
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The whole key to running efficiently is relaxation. It's a reason why stretching is important beforehand. The only part of the body that should work are legs, lungs and heart. Everything else needs to be completely relaxed.

Posture is debated, see Chi Running.

For you, you may wish to consult the running store, but without having seen you run, I'd recommend a midsole land. I'm not naturally light on my feet, but focusing upon it allows me to improve. It's just how you set your foot down. You can "lighten" your land if you concentrate and over time it will improve. This will lessen injuries. I currently have a bone contusion on my heel from speed work, so foot strike is important.

I love fitness so you hit me on something I love, even though in terms of competition, I'm very average and often disappointed with my performances. However, it's taken a lot of work to become average so I've had to go at it very methodically.
I tried running this morning with your advice, starting out a little bit slower (about a 10:30 pace) and was able to maintain the pace for almost the whole 2 miles. I focused on trying to have good posture, relaxing my hands and landing softer on my feet. I felt like I was able to run easier, but focusing on that was weird. I'm going to try and do it so that it comes more naturally, but thanks for the advice. Any more pointers would be useful.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #16
Archaea

Quote:
I tried running this morning with your advice, starting out a little bit slower (about a 10:30 pace) and was able to maintain the pace for almost the whole 2 miles. I focused on trying to have good posture, relaxing my hands and landing softer on my feet. I felt like I was able to run easier, but focusing on that was weird. I'm going to try and do it so that it comes more naturally, but thanks for the advice. Any more pointers would be useful.
You have enough to focus upon, just be consistent and have fun. Glad some of my useless knowledge might actually help.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #17
TheSizzle36

I ran again yesterday morning, and I went about 2.5 miles at a steady pace before my knee and shins were sore and I had to back off a bit. I kept a steady pace, so that was a good thing. Next time I run I'm planning on going on Saturday, weather permitting. We'll see how it goes.