cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 05-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
That is so lame. What was their lame excuse for canceling the swim this time.

I am so glad I didn't make the trip over for that.

I am sorry to hear that you got shortchanged.
Search and rescue disallowed it due to high velocity winds.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Search and rescue disallowed it due to high velocity winds.
I was wondering what had happened when I checked the results last night and say that the Olympic distance had swim times but none for the sprint.

There is a couple from my ward that went over and did it. I had to laugh that his transition 1 time was over 10 minutes. If you aren't even swimming, how does T1 take 10 minutes? He is not very competitive in case you were wondering.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:07 PM   #13
Archaea

Quote:
I was wondering what had happened when I checked the results last night and say that the Olympic distance had swim times but none for the sprint.

There is a couple from my ward that went over and did it. I had to laugh that his transition 1 time was over 10 minutes. If you aren't even swimming, how does T1 take 10 minutes? He is not very competitive in case you were wondering.

I was bummed as I had planned on using the rough waters to my advantage. Once we did a duathlon, it didn't matter.

I don't know how Coach did, but I just jogged the run.

BTW, Vale Hale and his wife were there. She finished the Short, and he failed to finish the Olympic. Strangely, he made it through the swim, which he was fearing and the bike, but didn't finish or start the run. The run is offroad, as you know, and awful in my opinion.
http://milliseconds.com/ResultsDisplay.php

Last edited by Archaea; 05-12-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #14
bigpiney

bigpiney

Quote:
The run is offroad, as you know, and awful in my opinion.
http://milliseconds.com/ResultsDisplay.php
Besides the swim at St george, I really love that run. The sand and the hills. It is a tough course and weeds people out. I am glad they do it where they do.

If you don't like off road runs, then you wouldn't like the tri that my tri club does. http://www.highsierratri.org/junelake.html
The run on this was absolutely brutal. It was almost more of a hike than a run
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-s...lake/553079200
Old 05-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #15
Archaea

Quote:
Besides the swim at St george, I really love that run. The sand and the hills. It is a tough course and weeds people out. I am glad they do it where they do.

If you don't like off road runs, then you wouldn't like the tri that my tri club does. http://www.highsierratri.org/junelake.html
The run on this was absolutely brutal. It was almost more of a hike than a run
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-s...lake/553079200

No I wouldn't. The reason, I drag my feet, which is efficient across pavement but makes you trip off-road. And I tripped and fell on my face, true to form.

Averaging a wonderful 7:57 for three measely miles tells how much I jogged it in. I hate that run and that's why I didn't do the Olympic. Give me asphalt any day.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #16
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:

T1 transition was because of the line to get out of the damn thing. They were letting a few hundred people start at the water exit at the same time, in front of people finishing the swim mind you. I can totally see it taking him 10 minutes. It took me 4+ minutes and I was toward the front. Most of that time was me waiting in line with my bike to get through the exit.

Quote:
I don't know how Coach did, but I just jogged the run.
I sucked. My strong point is the swim so that did not go well. Biking is next and when we finally got out of the transition it took another 5 minutes to get out to the road where we could actually start moving. As we did that, my brother was having a problem with his rear tire rubbing so I stopped and helped. Then one of the leaders on the olympic distance crashed going over ethe cattle guard. He was messed up. I stopped for a sec but I am not medically trained and there were 3-4 others around him. After that, I practically walked through the desert.

It basically sucked and I don't think I will be going back to that event.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #17
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Good grief, the whole thing sounds like a nightmare.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #18
bigpiney

bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
T1 transition was because of the line to get out of the damn thing. They were letting a few hundred people start at the water exit at the same time, in front of people finishing the swim mind you. I can totally see it taking him 10 minutes. It took me 4+ minutes and I was toward the front. Most of that time was me waiting in line with my bike to get through the exit.

I sucked. My strong point is the swim so that did not go well. Biking is next and when we finally got out of the transition it took another 5 minutes to get out to the road where we could actually start moving. As we did that, my brother was having a problem with his rear tire rubbing so I stopped and helped. Then one of the leaders on the olympic distance crashed going over ethe cattle guard. He was messed up. I stopped for a sec but I am not medically trained and there were 3-4 others around him. After that, I practically walked through the desert.

It basically sucked and I don't think I will be going back to that event.
Dang, that really sucks. I had done it twice in the past and thought it was a good race. I really enjoyed it the first year out there. Then last year with the new management it seemed to be going downhill (best post race food, my ass). I am not surprised with the problems. The place putting it on seems to have ruined it.