cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 04-10-2008, 11:00 PM   #41
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default How to break the plateau?

So I've been healthy for a couple of weeks now. Last week was my first week back exercising and it wasn't until the weekend that I really got going again (5 miles / day walking). Earlier in the week it was just building back up my stamina. But here I am a full week later and I am flat out STUCK right between 294 and 296 or so. Someone on the other board recommended going high protein for a week, which I would do by just going all protein shakes. Thoughts?
Old 04-10-2008, 11:06 PM   #42
Sea Chicken

Sea Chicken is on a distinguished road

I would say remember that you aren't on the Biggest Loser. If you have a healthy diet going and you are getting some exercise, just keep at it. The pounds will come off and you will have a desire to exercise more as you can. You will have some weeks that you've done everything right and you don't lose weight. Just don't worry about it and keep up the good eating/exercise habits. I would avoid any kind of gimmicky scheme to drop a lot in one week.
Sea Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #43
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I would agree with the Chicken. The two biggest problems with losing weight are:
1. Don't feel like you are losing weight fast enough--this causes people to try and find other quick ways to lose weight. The problem is they do something that is not sustainable and they end up reverting back to their old ways and re-gaining that weight.
2. Getting discouraged when you level off for a bit--Most people go thru periods of time where they lose only a pound in a week though you are working hard...if you are eating well and excercising, it is just a plateau. Keep it up and you should break out of it. If you are still struggling breaking out of it, re-evaluate what you are eating and how much you are eating.

You are doing great.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:16 PM   #44
FMCoug

FMCoug

You're both right of course. It's just frustrating. Especially for an analytical type like me who likes to keep score / metrics on everything.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #45
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I was stuck on 10-15lb overweight for a long time despite a lot of activity and exercise. Then suddenly it started coming off.

Maybe you are building muscle and losing fat. Maybe you could measure your fat content as well and keep track of that (i.e. weight not falling, but fat content falling).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #46
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I was stuck on 10-15lb overweight for a long time despite a lot of activity and exercise. Then suddenly it started coming off.

Maybe you are building muscle and losing fat. Maybe you could measure your fat content as well and keep track of that (i.e. weight not falling, but fat content falling).
Mike makes a good point. As you know FM, as you continue to work out, you are getting more muscle which weighs more than fat. The bonus is, as with what happened with Mike, as you continue to work out and continue to build muscle, you will then start burning more fat and losing more weight.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:05 PM   #47
sonofchet

sonofchet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
You're both right of course. It's just frustrating. Especially for an analytical type like me who likes to keep score / metrics on everything.
I'm also like you in that I love metrics. A few years ago, I let myself get a bit overweight and then had to try to lose it. I found that the metric of actual weight wasn't a very good one so I focused more on body fat% (a decent body fat scale works well enough to get accurate trending) and physical abilities (e.g. how much I could lift, how fast I could run a 5k, etc.). Those are metrics that more accurately reflect the success of your diet and exercise than weight does.
sonofchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #48
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Just stick with the program FM. You've gotta remember, it took years to put on the weight, it will take more than a few weeks to take it off. Whatever you do, don't try starving yourself, you'll just slow down your metabolism.

Also, as you continue with the walking, your body is going to adapt. So maybe throw in a couple of minutes of easy jogging every mile or so.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote