cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 03-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone running Moab this weekend?

Should be fun. Perfect weather (again).

I think I may have pulled a hip-flexor yesterday. Really weird. I felt fine for my run, it was short, and felt fine after. Then ever since midnight, it's just killing me to even walk.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife ran it last year and had a very good time. We will be skipping it this year though...good luck.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

It's on my list of races to do eventually, but not this year.

Good luck...hope the injury feels better.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:58 AM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck guys.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:43 AM   #5
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm posting from the RV on wifi provided by the campground/rv park at the south end of main street before the bend. Nice place.

I'll be running tomorrow. I haven't trained right this winter. I never do. But if I wait until I'm in shape to run the half marathons I would never do it.

Last year I ran 7 halfs and by the end of the summer was in pretty good shape. I was consistently running around 1:50 which is pretty good for a 5'10'', 200lb 35 year old.

If I lost 30lbs I'd be flying. But I am too busy to exercise like I'd like to and too busy to eat like I'd like to. I know it is a matter of priorities, but it is very tough for me to do what I'd really like to do fitness wise.

Where are you planning lunch after the race?
We ate at Slickrock Cafe. Great food, terrible waiter. GRRR...
That was actually my first time leaving a really bad tip.

Anyway, Moab's really hard to train for unless you really like running inside. I ran it a couple of years ago without training at all, thinking "I used to run--how hard can it be?". We camped the night before, my 8-month old was up all night because it was cold, so I took him for a long car road about 4 am. Made the mistake of getting a Sausage biscuit at the only place open that early--McD's--thinking it would be out of my system by the time I raced. No sleep + No training + Sausage biscuit = wanting to die as I fall across the finish line at a speedy 2:20.

Trained a little better this year, but I absolutely hate the treadmill. Plus, I don't think Moab's a very fast course, despite what some people have told me. So far from my best, but it was a fun race.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Pain. Nothing but pain.

My worst time ever in a half.

Not training all winter and then going out for a half is a recipe for serious pain and suffering.

I am an idiot.
This is probably almost identical to what I'll be posting after the Salt Lake Marathon in a month. I've trained sporadically at best this winter, and haven't run a step in two weeks due to the fact that I can't breathe. If I had a brain I would drop to the half, or just forget running it at all.

My plan is to fall in with the 4 hour group and see if I can keep up. If not, I'll just jog the thing and whatever time I come in at is what I get. I fully expect it to be my worst time ever. It's extremely difficult to train for a spring marathon.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

This is the second year I have put in and not drawn out. I wish they had a point system so you would have a better chance for every year you entered but did not get in.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:12 AM   #8
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

So, how did everyone do?
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:42 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Should be fun. Perfect weather (again).

I think I may have pulled a hip-flexor yesterday. Really weird. I felt fine for my run, it was short, and felt fine after. Then ever since midnight, it's just killing me to even walk.
wow, I thought you were a doctor. You should know what muscle you pulled. Seriously.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:44 PM   #10
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
wow, I thought you were a doctor. You should know what muscle you pulled. Seriously.
I think he knows what muscle he's talking about, he's just not sure if it was actually pulled or not.