cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2006, 11:47 PM   #1
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road
Default Ok... I'll restart the GSA thread...

Robin/Faith... The GSA has no place in public schools...

You can go on and on about how it is a group that promotes fellowship and understanding between gay and non-gay students but frankly I don't give a crap. It doesn't belong in a public school.

Should they have the S&M Prude alliance club?

How about the Bestiality FFA alliance?

Or the Pedophilia alliance?

Or how about the psychotic killer alliance?

Now I'm waiting for the response where somebody gets their hackles up and says that homosexuality is totally different from those other activities but I would like you to explain to me how...
Old 08-16-2006, 02:44 AM   #2
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE

You can go on and on about how it is a group that promotes fellowship and understanding between gay and non-gay students but frankly I don't give a crap. It doesn't belong in a public school.

Now I'm waiting for the response where somebody gets their hackles up and says that homosexuality is totally different from those other activities but I would like you to explain to me how...
In a PUBLIC school that allows people to organize clubs, students should be able to organize any sort of club that does not promote illegal behavior. In the free market of ideas, some clubs will ultimately thrive, and others will not. GSA's all over the country have proven their significance in numbers, and have consistently promoted tolerant behavior toward gay people.

What about promoting tolerant behavior toward gay people do you not accept?

Last edited by Robin; 08-16-2006 at 04:18 AM.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:22 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say that in regard to GSAs, I don't care if they exist so long as any funds used to support them are entirely private. I feel the same way about FBLA, DECA and any other extra-cirricular clubs at public schools.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:52 AM   #4
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE

Or how about LDS seminary? In my opinion, oraganized religion has no place in public school, yet we welcome seminary with open arms in Utah's high schools.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:52 AM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
Or how about LDS seminary? In my opinion, oraganized religion has no place in public school, yet we welcome seminary with open arms in Utah's high schools.
Is it in the schools there?

Here it's just off campus with release but it's not in the schools.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:54 AM   #6
DirtyHippieUTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
...students should be able to organize any sort of club that does not promote illegal behavior...
Anything goes as long as it is legal? Are you sure that's the standard? You're setting the bar pretty low.

How about a we like to masturbate while thinking about teacher club?

Should the "I like to eat my own feces club" have a faculty advisor? They could promote tolerance between the kids who eat their own turds and the kids who don't eat their own turds.

What about a neo-nazi group who believe that the world will be a much better place if everybody would just accept that whites are a superior race and should rule the world?

Just because it is legal doesn't mean it is right or that it should be in our schools.

The legal standard wont work. The law isn't the high mark it is the absolute minimum we will accept. The idea is to create an enviroment where children can learn.

Does having a thousand special interest/political activist groups on campus really lend itself to that goal?

Quote:
GSA's all over the country have proven their significance in numbers
Significant? So what? What does the fact that it is a significant group have to do with whether or not it has a place in public schools?

Many groups have proven their significance thru numbers. That doesn't make them appropriate.

Hell... The KKK is a hugely significant group. Does that doesn't grant them a place at Springville HS?

Quote:
What about tolerant behavior toward gay people do you not accept?
Nice line... That's like when Snipe asks people "What is it about freedom that you hate?"

Try to villanize me but the truth is that I'm just not buying your line of crap.

Is it tolerance that the GSA is really after? Do they want to be tolerated or accepted? How do the kids in the GSA feel about the right wing nut jobs who think they're all going to hell? Do they feel like they should have a place in the school?

Get right down to the bare bones. The GSA and other groups like it want people to accept homosexuality as a natural and appropriate behavior. They are intolerant of my belief that what they are doing is sick and wrong.

Now tell me how "closed minded" I am because I don't see it your way.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:59 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea

It's off campus here in Utah as well and is called "released time". I had no idea that Nevada was the same.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:03 AM   #8
DirtyHippieUTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
Good point... There is a reason why Seminaries are built on private property that just happens to be very near to most schools.

Students do not go to Seminary, they apply for "release time" and do not get school credit for the time they are away from the school. Release time is available to all students. I have a friend who took release time to take guitar lessons.

If GSA wants to buy property near the schools, get parent approval for student release, and teach kids that homosexuals and heterosexuals should just all get along without the heteros telling the homos that they're wrong... fine... Now they're out of the pubic schools.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:04 AM   #9
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea

I know at my daughter's school, the seminary building is right next door to the administration office and daughter has seminary during first period. There may be a line there, but it's a pretty thin one. I'm guessing if the GSA wanted to take their meetings off campus and get a "release" similar to seminary, they'd have a pretty tough time pulling it off.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:04 AM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
It's off campus here in Utah as well and is called "released time". I had no idea that Nevada was the same.
Ours is in zero period or last period off campus. The kids still must meet all academic requirements.