cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default Speaking of Utah County and "less desirables"

The last ward we were in before fleeing the state was in Lehi. During a fast and testimony meeting, the RS President got up and ranted about a children's home that was proposed to be built in Lehi. Went on about how "those people" shouldn't be here, they'd be going to school with our children, lower our property values, etc. Said she was passing around a petition from some group that was against it.

Since I am one of "those people", having grown up in a children's home (where I joined the church through the influence of an LDS houseparent), I was needless to say pissed off. So I got up and told my story and basically ripped on the sister for what she said. Also mentioned that what she did was inappropriate, per the handbook.

The sad part is, I was the one that became the ward pariah.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
The last ward we were in before fleeing the state was in Lehi. During a fast and testimony meeting, the RS President got up and ranted about a children's home that was proposed to be built in Lehi. Went on about how "those people" shouldn't be here, they'd be going to school with our children, lower our property values, etc. Said she was passing around a petition from some group that was against it.

Since I am one of "those people", having grown up in a children's home (where I joined the church through the influence of an LDS houseparent), I was needless to say pissed off. So I got up and told my story and basically ripped on the sister for what she said. Also mentioned that what she did was inappropriate, per the handbook.

Hats off to you. You did the right thing.

Way to speak truth to power.

And being pariah in a ward for doing the right thing is a blessing, not a curse. Then you don't have to deal with idiots.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Likely neither rant was proper in a fast and testimony meeting.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
You're probably right, but I did tell my conversion story and bore testimony of the influence of members of the church at/around the children's home. There was not a stitch of testimony in hers that I can recall.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
A correction was in order.

Don't listen to this butt weevil.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Sounds like she was out of line.

I've lived in Utah County for a long time and never witnessed anything close to that. Really, Utah County is not that bad of place, guys.

I'm starting to feel guilty.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:21 PM   #7
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
A correction was in order.

Don't listen to this butt weevil.
At minimum, the Bishop should have stood up and mentioned that it was inappropriate to use testimony meeting as a pulpit for what was clearly a political issue.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:22 PM   #8
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
At minimum, the Bishop should have stood up and mentioned that it was inappropriate to use testimony meeting as a pulpit for what was clearly a political issue.
Very true.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:23 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
and lacking that, I find what FMCoug did to not only be appropriate, but also courageous and correct.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Oh, but if it was going to lower property values in the area, then she was spot-on correct to bring that up.:???: