cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How would you rather BYU Schedule
7 away and 5 home games, with 1 home & 2 away v. BCS teams 2 18.18%
7 home and 5 away, with 1 home & 1 away v. BCS teams 9 81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2008, 07:36 PM   #11
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I agree. As I think about it, a couple of other points come up, although I have no idea how big of a role they would play...
1) I would think scheduling better teams would generate more booster enthusiasm.
2) While I agree that no one's going to subscribe to see a game against Nebraska, the percentage of people with the MTN who actually watch would go up, leading to higher ratings, higher advertising dollars, and better future contracts.

The magnitude of both of these would be debatable, so you may be right in the end. I just want to watch better football (or at least go to nice places, like you said earlier, so I'm just fine with Tulane and Hawaii).
My wish, in order of preference (ignoring reality)..

1. BYU leaves the MWC altogether and joins the Pac 10 with Utah. Have to keep the state rivalry.
2. BYU stays in the MWC, but BCS be darned....we do our best to schedule great OOC games with the most exciting teams we can land, knowing that we may never win a NC (but we probably werent going to anyway)
3. BYU experiments with this crappy D-AA scheduling, but if it doesnt result in anything more than the same annual trip to the Vegas Bowl each year, we abandon the approach and adopt wish #2.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #12
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

One of the worst things a program can ever do is have more road games than home games.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:31 AM   #13
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
2) While I agree that no one's going to subscribe to see a game against Nebraska, the percentage of people with the MTN who actually watch would go up, leading to higher ratings, higher advertising dollars, and better future contracts.
If only it worked that simply... the ratings from one or two games, or even a full Mountain West conference schedule isn't going to be significant enough to raise the Advertising dollars to get better contracts.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote