cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 11:59 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Blood Meridian.

I assume books are a form of media, so I'm using this part of the board to discuss a book. Has anybody here read Blood Meridian? I'm just reading it. Holy mackeral. A very powerful, well executed novel. It's a western but really subverts the genre. (I'm not normally a western fan, though I'm an admirer of Lonesom Dove.) It's superb. But be warned: it's extremely violent.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:02 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I read the first 2 1/2 books of the All the Pretty Horses Series. I got bogged down in the 3rd book. Haven't read Blood Meridian yet. I think he just released another book.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:14 AM   #3
SeattleUte

Default Cormack McCarthy

I picked up Blood Meridian after reading reviews of McCarthy's new book, No Couintry for Old Men, in the New Yorker and the New York Times. The New Yorker article was mostly about Blood Meridian, and very fawning (nobody seems to think the new one is that good, but I'll read it). Ten years ago Harold Bloom said it's the best novel by any living American author. I like the book, but I have to think about that one. McCarthy's from the south and his characters are southerners, so he can write in a southern dialect, and have his characters speak that way. That's always effective--e.g., Huckleberry Finn, Catcher In the Rye, Fulkner, and that novel that won the Booker Prize last year. But it doesn't seem to work in any other context.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-10-2005, 12:19 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm reading much more serious literature. I'm 5 pages into the latest Harry Potter book (I got bogged down).

And I'm reading a book about how to run SAS statistical databases (great fun).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:47 AM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default thanks for the recommendation

I've been needing something else to read for some long plane flights.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 03:51 PM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to recommend that new David O. McKay bio by Prince and Wright. It gives unprecendented access into the workings of the Quorum of the 12 and the first Presidency during McKay's tenure. The chapter "Blacks, Civil Rights and the Priesthood" completely justifies the purchase. There is also a great deal of interesting info in the chapter on Education especially as related to Ernest L. Wilkinson.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:28 AM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default McCarthy Books

I read "All the Pretty Horses" and loved it. I eventually read the rest of the border trilogy and Blood Meridian. I enjoyed all of them, although "All the Pretty Horses" remains my favorite. Blood Meridian would be a close second.

It's kind of funny to read reviews of McCarthy's books on amazon.com. Folks either love him or hate him.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:16 PM   #8
SeattleUte

Default Re: McCarthy Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
I read "All the Pretty Horses" and loved it. I eventually read the rest of the border trilogy and Blood Meridian. I enjoyed all of them, although "All the Pretty Horses" remains my favorite. Blood Meridian would be a close second.

It's kind of funny to read reviews of McCarthy's books on amazon.com. Folks either love him or hate him.
If you like Blood Meridian you'd probably like James Elroy's crime novels. My favorite is American Tabloid, closely followed by LA Confidential. Others like the Black Dalia are also great.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-19-2005, 11:25 PM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Re: McCarthy Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBlue
If you like Blood Meridian you'd probably like James Elroy's crime novels. My favorite is American Tabloid, closely followed by LA Confidential. Others like the Black Dalia are also great.
Thanks for the tip. I will give him a shot.

Speaking of good crime novels, I enjoy Michael Connelly. I have been meaning to try a Raymond Chandler novel sometime. Have you read any of his stuff?
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote