cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 05:08 PM   #11
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
LOL, I don't use any fancy programs or formula's to do my market timing. Therefor it doesn't count.
On a serious note. I consider any so called market timing I do as tweaking. I don't call going from fully invested to 60-70% invested and back to fully invested over 6 month periods as market timing.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #12
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
On a serious note. I consider any so called market timing I do as tweaking. I don't call going from fully invested to 60-70% invested and back to fully invested over 6 month periods as market timing.
IIRC, from a regulatory standpoint, market timing regulations for certain investment vehicles deal with moving money in less than a 90 day period.

Feel free to correct me.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:37 PM   #13
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
IIRC, from a regulatory standpoint, market timing regulations for certain investment vehicles deal with moving money in less than a 90 day period.

Feel free to correct me.
Sounds good to me.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:16 PM   #14
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_timing

Market timing the way I used it is pretty much any kind of speculating on the market going up or down for certain time, including 71's version.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:33 PM   #15
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just me, but pulling 30% of your money out of the market is market timing. My idea of non-market-timing, but prudent use of history as your guide, is to wait until late October to put new money to work.

Investing in regional banks has been very good to me over the long term, but I have been light in the last couple years mainly because the interest rate spreads have not been favorable for them. If the Fed starts lowering short-term rates I will start moving aggressively in that direction, but avoid California, Arizona, and maybe Florida.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #16
BYU71

Quote:
thread, I know finance threads aren't of much interest. However, I am sitting here hoping something happens and drives the market up short term. It is my guess the traders and spec. guys have now gone short. I would love to see them get their butts handed to them.

I love this market. The more we can punish the short termers, the happier I get.
You know, sometimes wishes do come true.