cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 11:37 PM   #11
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
I think the theatrical release was pre-2005, but the best film I saw last year (DVD) was "In America."

If that don't touch you, you ain't human.
Excellent film. I love Emily Mortimer. She is also getting a great deal of positive buzz for her role in Woody Allen's upcoming film Match Point. Another good film of hers to see is Dear FranKie, also out in the last year or two.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:02 AM   #12
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

how sad a comentary on my life would be if I were to admit that I only went to see one movie this year?

We watched a few on video -I honestly can't remember one that I really 'loved'?

I find Outliers comments about George Lucus interesting ... the original Star Wars changed movie making as we know it -it is beyond brilliant and as one film is better than 99% of the films made since ... of course before Star Wars came American Grafitti wich is more than just a classic.

The reality is Peter Jackson would not exist if George Lucas did not exist. Lord of the Rings has change movie making forever in the same way that Star Wars changed movie making ... I haven't seen King Kong, and I do have a feeling I will be dissapointed but I think Outlier is so far in left field with his comment that he's on a different continent. :shock:
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:16 AM   #13
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Peter Jackson has had just such an odd development of his career in movies. First off he is a fantastic director, but it is his older movies that really show that off. He started out with more indie type stuff, and some of it is pretty damn bizarre. Dead/Alive is the goriest movie I have ever seen, and also very funny. Meet the Feebles is a movie I love but do not recommend to anyone. It is all about demented puppets and I will not even begin to describe some of the things these puppets do. Then throw in Heavenly Creatures which is just an awesome movie. After seeing these movies, which I saw before he was named the director for the Lord of the Rings movies I would never have guessed he would start doing the type of movies he does now. Make no mistake he is a good director it is just a question of if he remains one now that he is taking on bigger movies.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:50 AM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I love Ang Lee for example, but man his foray into big budget stuff with The Hulk, was atrocious.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:54 AM   #15
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnick
g. no explanation how they got kong on the boat....
LOL, i was laughing at that part as well. But i'm a succer for a popcorn movie (which this was all it was).

I haven't been to many movies (love having two kids under two) so Mr. and Mrs. Smith was super.

but Batman Begins is by far my favorite of the year.[/quote]
Old 12-21-2005, 01:27 AM   #16
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

I would have to go with Walk the Line & ROTS. I already have ROTS on dvd and plan on getting WtL when it comes out. I'll bet that it'll sound great on my dolby surround sound system.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:27 AM   #17
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue
how sad a comentary on my life would be if I were to admit that I only went to see one movie this year?
Hopefully not too sad as I think I saw 2 or 3. I just don't enjoy movies like I used to. How sad would it be if I said that the best movie that I saw this year was "Hitch"?(What's that sound? Oh, it's any credibility that I had on this board being sucked down the drain) I saw it under orders from the wife, thinking I would just hate it. I ended up thinking it was pretty entertaining. Of course, to make my #1 it only had to beat out War of the Worlds and Star wars III (or whatever number that was).

I'm really looking forward to seeing New York Dolls when it becomes available on DVD. Sounds like one of the better movies of the year.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:39 AM   #18
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I really want to see New York Doll, hopefully it is still playing in Utah when I'm in town later this week.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:15 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue
Hopefully not too sad as I think I saw 2 or 3. I just don't enjoy movies like I used to. How sad would it be if I said that the best movie that I saw this year was "Hitch"?(What's that sound? Oh, it's any credibility that I had on this board being sucked down the drain) I saw it under orders from the wife, thinking I would just hate it. I ended up thinking it was pretty entertaining. Of course, to make my #1 it only had to beat out War of the Worlds and Star wars III (or whatever number that was).

I'm really looking forward to seeing New York Dolls when it becomes available on DVD. Sounds like one of the better movies of the year.
If we were playing golf when it comes to going to movies, I'd have both of you two (too blue and SteelBlue) beat by a mile.

The last movie I saw in the theater was Rugrats in Paris. It was awesome.

IMO, movies suck. Probably because Hollywood produces too much garbage on which I refuse to waste my money.

I suppose I am what would be considered a movie puritan - and I'm proud of it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote