cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas is on a distinguished road
Default This deals with my job, so I suppose finances is a good category to put it in.

I23

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; 09-02-2010 at 03:43 PM.
InVinoVeritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post
I posted on CB that my current job has been somewhat intolerable over the past month. I have been, therefore, discretely searching for other jobs. I came upon a job as a director at a nice sized company. Many of the enumerated duties correlated with the law, and I thought that this job may be a good fit for me. The required experience, however, was "3 to 6 years." Instead of throwing my resume into the mix, and possibly jeopardizing my secret job search, I consulted with my father in law. He told me to be very careful because our town is still relatively small and word gets around. He also said he'd check on the job for me as he knows the CFO very well.

Today my fil had lunch with CFO who informed him that the company is considering implementing an in-house counsel group for the first time. He took my resume and told my fil that he would pass it on to the COO. My fil mentioned that I was interested in the director job, but would likely be amenable to any number of capacities with the company.

I'm not sure of my chances of landing a decent job with this company, but I am hopeful. It may be a real long shot given my utter lack of experience. I have, however, been with my current firm for a year, as a law clerk and attorney, so perhaps the fact that I just graduated and passed the bar may escape notice.

Any thoughts or advice? It may be that it I merely have to wait for a phone call, or wait for not a phone call.
I do not think there is any downside to being considered ambitious ... good luck, I hope it works out.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I posted on CB that my current job has been somewhat intolerable over the past month. I have been, therefore, discretely searching for other jobs. I came upon a job as a director at a nice sized company. Many of the enumerated duties correlated with the law, and I thought that this job may be a good fit for me. The required experience, however, was "3 to 6 years." Instead of throwing my resume into the mix, and possibly jeopardizing my secret job search, I consulted with my father in law. He told me to be very careful because our town is still relatively small and word gets around. He also said he'd check on the job for me as he knows the CFO very well.

Today my fil had lunch with CFO who informed him that the company is considering implementing an in-house counsel group for the first time. He took my resume and told my fil that he would pass it on to the COO. My fil mentioned that I was interested in the director job, but would likely be amenable to any number of capacities with the company.

I'm not sure of my chances of landing a decent job with this company, but I am hopeful. It may be a real long shot given my utter lack of experience. I have, however, been with my current firm for a year, as a law clerk and attorney, so perhaps the fact that I just graduated and passed the bar may escape notice.

Any thoughts or advice? It may be that it I merely have to wait for a phone call, or wait for not a phone call.
I don't mind giving advice when it comes to your eternal salvation, but I don't want to mess with your career. I will just wish you good luck.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

My advice is when you have lunch with the prospective employers don't order spaghetti, as it tends to splatter on your tie which is embarassing and can ruin a tie.

Good luck.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:45 AM   #5
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

I have no advice. Just want to wish you luck. There's nothing worse than being trapped at a job you hate.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
dut99002

dut99002 is on a distinguished road

If possible and appropriate, I'd try following up with the company (either through your fil or by yourself). While it's not always necessary or feasible, it's good to show them that you care about the position and are not indifferent about their company/position.
dut99002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #7
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
From what you have said, it sounds like you have a pretty good shot, maybe not as the director, to start, but at least you'll get a chance to get a foot in the door with this company. You should be very thankful that you have a FIL who can put in a good word for you.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote