cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2013, 04:30 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default vs. Wichita State

1. Nate Austin is the our new "peanut brain." Dumb as a rock.

2. We need to face facts. Tyler Haws is a defensive liability. He is too small to be effective at the 3 on D. And he can't play shooting guard because he doesn't have the handle or athleticism. It scares me every time he puts in the ball on the floor.

3. Mika--nice job. I wish he could avoid some of these fouls. Get out of the way!!! Sad we couldn't feed him in the post more (partly because he was on the bench for so long).

4. Anson Winder, poor showing again. I expect him to fall down the roster.

5. Worthington. I don't think I need to say a thing. He's a glorified rec player.

6. Carlino. We saw the good and bad. Tough shot attempts in the 2nd half, none fell. Hot in the first half. Wichita State made the adjustment.

7. Collinsworth. Still showing his youth and inexperience. Unfortunately hasn't developed any shooting touch since he was a freshman. You need to make your free throws!!! Prone to the dumb turnover. On the other hand, without him we are cooked. He has the size we need.

8. Bartley. I liked what I saw. His athleticism and IQ are a bonus and he will get more time as the year goes by.

9. Sharp. Nice to see him get on the floor. I'm still puzzled why Rose isn't giving him at least a few minutes. Hell, he may be a good change of pace as an oversized defensive 3 in the zone defense.

BYU's achilles heel remains our lack of talent in the frontcourt outside of Mika. Nate Austin makes me cry out of embarrassment, and Worthington makes me throw up in my mouth. They try hard but both suck.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Austin grabs a ton of boards, so not a complete waste. Other than that, sounds about right.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Tyler Haws needs to be more selective in his shot taking. He's getting his jumpshot blocked at a ridiculous rate, and it's already cost us one game, arguably both games we have lost.

He's also taking high degree of difficulty shots and doing so very ineffectively. I can see why Carlino turned him down. Haws is playing selfishly and poorly.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Rose has been going with a 4 guard lineup. If you are 6'11" and playing with 4 guards, yes, you should be able to get double digit rebounds.

Austin is trying hard, but he's not always playing very smart. Stupid fouls being a huge problem.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

This team really misses having an athletic defender and rebounder (as well as all purpose guy) like Abuou. He played within his game.

One thing we forget about Jimmer's senior season is all the defensive talent we had around him compared to what we have now.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #6
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly, if Mika won't pull'em down (and he hasn't) we need someone who will, and Austin has been doing it.