cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My social satire applies to many of us, certainly myself. There is a gap between who we are and who we think we are, and who we wish we were. As I was reading wuapinmon's statement, it occurred to me, wasn't he just saying the other day that because of his surgery he had a ton of time to play MW2? I thought it was humorous the contrast between playing MW2 a ton, and seriously considering your death on the other. Not that such actions would be totally beyond my own behavior.

I have close friends whose brother is dying. He has liver cancer as the result of chronic hepatitis he received at birth from his mother. He should have received screening every 6 months, but he didn't know about that need. The tragedy of it is that his father and brother are both physicians, and neither of them knew either. In fact, I didn't know of those screening recommendations. Another tragedy is that he has three young children. So now he has a huge inoperable tumor, that has no good treatment except surgery. He is dying. My friends complain that he is living his life like he has always lived it. He watches a ton of TV in his room, doesn't spend much time with the kids. Wife takes the kid to swim practice every evening, he doesn't attend. They don't talk about his illness. It's like nothing is going on. If you've always lived a certain way, how do you suddenly change? "Hey kids, I'm dying, let's go to the zoo." If there are changes one would make in your life, why not live that way even if you are not dying? If I had 6 months left (which may be the case, who knows), how should I live? Should I quit my job? Would I stop playing video games from time to time? Would I read more books? Less? More time with the kids? I don't know.

What is a good life? And if one doesn't have it, why not?

Wuapinmon wears his heart on his sleeve, because let's face it, the average person would not post such a document on a message board. Making a point of humor is risky business. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings wuapinmon, but in the moment, it felt like the more effective way of making the points I have summarized in this post. Fare thee well in your journey, adieu!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote