cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road
Default Mormon study groups

One of my best friends went to an Ivy League law school. While there, he and his wife joined with other mormon couples also in graduate school to start a study group to discuss church issues of the kind we do here -- that is, it was not scripture study, but a wide-eyed examination of church history/doctrine, etc.

Within 18 months, every single couple (there were 5) had become inactive and/or left the church.

What's the moral of the story here? And no, I don't think the moral of the story is either (1) don't have non-scripture study groups (see Adam's positive experience with his), or (2) don't examine history and doctrine with open, inquiring eyes.

I think there's a different moral to the story . . .
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
One of my best friends went to an Ivy League law school. While there, he and his wife joined with other mormon couples also in graduate school to start a study group to discuss church issues of the kind we do here -- that is, it was not scripture study, but a wide-eyed examination of church history/doctrine, etc.

Within 18 months, every single couple (there were 5) had become inactive and/or left the church.

What's the moral of the story here? And no, I don't think the moral of the story is either (1) don't have non-scripture study groups (see Adam's positive experience with his), or (2) don't examine history and doctrine with open, inquiring eyes.

I think there's a different moral to the story . . .
Hard to say without knowing what prompted them to leave. One would assume they aren't all identical.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a friend who went to an Ivy League professional school. He's inactive/apostate.

He didn't attend any Mormon study group.

There's a moral to this story....
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I have a friend who went to an Ivy League professional school. He's inactive/apostate.

He didn't attend any Mormon study group.

There's a moral to this story....
Maybe its that the smarter you are easier it is to apostatize. Boy am I glad that you are the smartest guy here and not me.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

You don't have to be smart to apostasize.

See SU.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #6
Levin

My friend told me that the study group was the impetus to them all leaving, and they left in rapid succession.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Old 07-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
My friend told me that the study group was the impetus to them all leaving, and they left in rapid succession.
That doesn't really tell me anything. What were they studying? Did they all leave over the same issue? Were they already teetering that way and meeting up with other like minded doubters game them the courage of their convictions? Were they having a big orgy?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Levin, so your friend who told you the story left the church as well?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:23 PM   #9
Levin

No infidelity; I can speak for my friend -- based on our conversations, he had a very strong testimony before starting the study group. The group got together not because they wanted to criticize and gripe, but because they wanted to deepen their understanding of their faith and their church. He told me they started out with the goal of increasing their faith through asking questions and trying to find the answers.

He still believes in Christ.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
That doesn't really tell me anything. What were they studying? Did they all leave over the same issue? Were they already teetering that way and meeting up with other like minded doubters game them the courage of their convictions? Were they having a big orgy?
Bingo. Study groups inevitably lead to wife swapping.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote