cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Death-row defense lawyer

Was listening to this on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=123491414

This is his book:

http://www.amazon.com/Autobiography-.../dp/0446562068

I was struck by how apologetic and dismissive he was of the crimes these men committed. "Wrong place wrong time" "Didn't intend to murder someone" "If he hadn't been with his friends he wouldn't have murdered that old lady" "I would let him babysit my kids" "He's completely changed now" "It's sad that they won't let them touch and hug their family members before they are executed". In the one case, he portrays the murder as practically self-defense (it was a home robbery, and the home owner came home). "Just a boy" [19 years old].

It was PATHETIC.

One wonders how much these defenders fall in love with themselves, as a result of their choice of work.

Switching gears from this douche for a second......I found myself wondering if going to prison and being on death row is not in same way redemptive for some of these men. That some of them become BETTER human beings is a RESULT of being on death row. These people that changed....if they had been slapped on the wrist, put in jail for six months, then released on probation, would they have become the person that this man would hire as a babysitter? I think not.

Of course, this lawyer could not let such a thought cross his mind. Because everything starts with DEATH PENALTY = WRONG.

The shit who killed the lady in my ward in front of her kids. Did he let her say goodbye to them, give them a hug? Did he consider a last minute appeal? I don't think he did.

He's not going to the death chamber. He was sentenced to 45 years in prison. I imagine he will be released in 20 years.

He might have been better served to have been executed. It might have allowed him to make amends.

I'm glad we have defense lawyers. I'm glad we have death-row defense lawyers.

I just don't care for mush-brained liberal apologists who can't see beyond the end of their noses.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote